First Decent Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T675Rich

Hi

I am a total newbie when it comes to this kind of thing. I have recently started cycling to work a couple of times a week but my current bike it an Apollo mtb with dual suspension. I have been told by a few people that it is probably the least efficient thing I could be using because it was cheap when I got it over 10 years ago and as I m riding on roads and cycle paths the suspension will be working against me. I can't afford to buy a bike outright so was planning to use the cyclescheme thing that my employer offers.

I have spoken to all the local shops that I can get a bike from and was looking at £400ish price range based on the cost calculator and they all recommend the makes that they stock (obvioulsy). As above my commute is mainly roads and cyclepaths although some are lots of uneven slaps as I am not confident using the road on some uphills at the moment as I will cause an obstruction, the most off road I will get will be canal tow paths probably.

Any for the tl:dr version the bikes I have been recommended are:

The Giant Escape 2 (They recommended the non disc version but I have read that discs are better if you are how to put it, a larger person)
Ridgeback Velocity
Cube Aim Pro

The guy who sold the Cube bikes said I would get "more bang for my buck" with a mountain bike with smoother tyres and wouldn't stop raving about Cube as a company. The front suspension locks off.

I have a feeling they would all be much better than my current bike but I have no idea which is better.

vickster

Legendary Member
No need for suspension for your uses. It’ll be heavy and low end on a £400 bike so best avoided

The other two look good. Rider weight is not a decider on disc brakes (never heard that before). It’s more about being able to stop better in the wet especially in traffic

Try out the Giant and Ridgeback and see which you prefer

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Depends what you want really. The Cube mountain bike will do the job, how far are you riding to/from work? The problem with the cube is that you are either faced with changing the tyres straight away (not a cheap job if you are on a budget) or putting up with the existing tyres, although they don't look too knobbly.

My choice would be one of the rigid hybrid types you have listed. The ridgeback has a better rear derailleur and 36 x spoke wheels but I don't like the thought of the adjustable handlebar stem and there is also the cable operated brakes which are not as nice as hydraulic but possibly more reliable in the long term.

The Giant looks nice and is still a good spec and in it's favour it has hydraulic brakes.

Talking of brakes, they are all fitted with Tektro brakes. I had a bad experience with Tektro hydraulics a few years ago and ended up binning them after a year and fitting some decent Shimano ones. The Tektros were poor performers and soon developed sticky calipers that just couldn't be cured. The Shimano ones just work, period! The Tektro cable brakes may be a good compromise though as what you might lose in overall stopping power and brake feel you will gain in simplicity and long term reliability?

Final piece of advice, you probably don't need any suspension for the rides you are describing so unless you are very sensitive to jarring I wouldn't bother burdening your self with the weight and maintenance requirements of a suspension fork. The lower priced suss forks can be quite poor.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It always seems daft to me to buy a mountain bike then set about turning it into a hybrid you could have bought in the first place.

You are on the right lines with the Ridgeback or Giant.

There's a lot to be said for having a local bike shop on board, particularly if you are relying on the bike to get to work.

That's much easier to achieve if you buy the bike from the shop, so while you could be cynical about a shop recommending brands it sells, they are hardly likely to recommend a brand they don't sell.

Most bikes at £400 will be decent, so if a bike is the style you want in stock at what appears to be a competent local shop, I wouldn't worry if it's a Giant, Rigeback, Cube, Trek, Canondale, or whatever.

vickster

Legendary Member
Assuming the discount applies when using C2W. Sometimes it dies, sometimes it doesn’t, depends on retailer

FWIW I had Tektro hydraulics on two Whyte fast flatbars, no issues

Drago

Legendary Member
117kg of weightlifting Dwayne Johnson clone here, and I find rim brakes stop me very well (although I'm very particular about pads, cables and set up) indeed, but given a like for like choice discs are the way to go.

That said, I must agree with Kajjal - if rim brakes are the only thing between you and your perfect steed then don't let that stop you. Discs are good, but theyre not the second coming.

Einjoy your commuting by bike. It's oddly addictive.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you've been riding an Apollo full susser then you deserve a medal. The upside is that when you get on a proper hybrid you'll feel like your chains of bondage have been released and you'll fly like Geraint Thomas!

With four hundred to spend the world of hybrids is your oyster if you go second hand. Try to get one that's been little used. Look on all the sites like Gumtree, there are some real bargains to be had. How about these in your area?
https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/...o-scratches-or-marks-unwanted-gift/1309182560

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/mens-c-boardman-hybrid-bike/1307178964

The Boardman would be the better choice as it doesn't have suspension forks

Last edited:
OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

If you've been riding an Apollo full susser then you deserve a medal. The upside is that when you get on a proper hybrid you'll feel like your chains of bondage have been released and you'll fly like Geraint Thomas!

With four hundred to spend the world of hybrids is your oyster if you go second hand. Try to get one that's been little used. Look on all the sites like Gumtree, there are some real bargains to be had. How about these in your area?
https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/...o-scratches-or-marks-unwanted-gift/1309182560

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/mens-c-boardman-hybrid-bike/1307178964

The Boardman would be the better choice as it doesn't have suspension forks

Yea, I am hoping I will notice a marked improvement when off my current bike. I am quite happy with the to work time as it has some decent sections of down hill but home obviously is more difficult. At the moment I can't make it all the way up one of the hills without walking which is annoying but getting a little further each time.

I would buy secondhand but I am buying through the cyclescheme so has to be new with certain stores.

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

If it was an Apollo Outrage - then any bike aferwards would be a major upgrade.

Very good fitness training though

That appears to be a kids bike, unfortinatly even 10 years ago I was an adult. It was a FS.26 in fact this is it:

2vmd2sh.jpg

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully

Attachments

• image9.JPG
    image9.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 48

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'd echo what has already been said, you don't need suspension for the rides you've described and at that price point it's likely to be heavy and of no real benefit.
Disks are the way to go - better stopping in the wet (important if commuting year round) and if you do clout the wheels on a pot hole or kerb being slightly out of true won't affect braking like it would with rim brakes.

From the bikes you've suggested, I'd go for the Giant, but it's what suits you best.

Which shops can you use your C2W voucher with?

If you can use the voucher at Halfords / Cycle Republic or Tredz, the Boardman hybrid range is well worth a look - good bikes and good spec for the money.

Top Bottom