First ever bicycle commute to work. Done.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

This Time Next Year

Had my bike for a week, but was off work on leave, so today was my first time taking it to work.

I only live a mile and a half away so I had illusions that I'll be able to make it without breaking a sweat. Easier said than done! If anyone has any tips for cycling at a sweat free, shower free pace, I'd be glad to hear them!

Also any tips for resisting SCR would be greatly received. For the record I was overtaken by two bikes on the way in, but I made up for it by giving it the beans and passing eight bikes on the way home. :-D

I know its a pitiful distance that takes less than 10 minutes but I'm proud of myself for turning my four wheel commute into a two wheel commute!

...and thanks to being able use a bus lane cut through, it's just as quick!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Before long you'll be able to do the distance without getting out of breath.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well done you.

My first commute when getting abck to cycling 7 years ago after a 20 year lay off was a mile and a half.
Thought it would be easy. Well it was going there as it was down hill. On the way back however I think my heart wanted to burst out of my chest alien style. I was in such pain after.

Just keep it up, extend the distances if you can and it will become easier. As to the sweating question. Just take it easy/easier. None of that SCR nonsense either. Though it is tough to resist. Sometimes I can, sometimes I just can't... pain in the arse..:laugh:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Well done! :bravo:
I remember my first commute by bike, I think I would have been faster walking it!

defy-one

I couldn't do a mile when i restarted my cycling. Now 15-20 miles is challenging but a joy.
Keep it up!

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I know its a pitiful distance that takes less than 10 minutes but I'm proud of myself for turning my four wheel commute into a two wheel commute!
Its only a pitiful distance to need a car for, perfectly sensible journey on a bike ;)

You should sweat less as your fitness improves, providing you dont just get faster. Try to keep your speed down a little on the way in and turn the way home into fitness training, adding distance if you feel upto it :smile:

Well done, remember that the route you are using at the moment is only the first!

My commute varies from 8 miles to 15 depending on how I feel and the weather.

On a good evening I do a big detour and have a quick pint before going home!

Now al you need to do is find a pub to give you the incentive.

Had my bike for a week, but was off work on leave, so today was my first time taking it to work.

I only live a mile and a half away so I had illusions that I'll be able to make it without breaking a sweat. Easier said than done! If anyone has any tips for cycling at a sweat free, shower free pace, I'd be glad to hear them!

Also any tips for resisting SCR would be greatly received. For the record I was overtaken by two bikes on the way in, but I made up for it by giving it the beans and passing eight bikes on the way home. :-D

...and thanks to being able use a bus lane cut through, it's just as quick!

Nice start and SCRing already!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I took up this madness three years ago. My first commute was a pancake-flat gentle five miles across town on quiet roads. I wasn't looking for speed. After four miles, I was in a bad way. I wanted to vomit into a bush in Battersea Park, my lungs were bursting, and I felt alarmingly dizzy. I wheezed and groaned for five minutes before getting back in the saddle. A few hundred yards later, I was resting on a traffic island, again feeling pretty ghastly. A white van man drew alongside and looked worried...."Are you OK mate?". I'll never forget his tiny act of kindness.

It does get easier, and I don't go faster. Greg Lemond was wrong...:smile:

Well done.

subaqua

What’s the point
well done. even the longest bike ride starts with one turn of the crank. it does get easier. my 1st commute in 22 odd years was 3 miles and i did a recce with my 9 yr old daughter. there and back took us over an hour. i lay on the sofa for the rest of the day. that was nearly 2 years ago. 10 miles is a doddle now. it does get a lot easier, and there will be times when you think why am i not in the car/bus/train bus but the ha ha moment as you whizz past a line of stationary traffic makes up for that.

Top Bottom