First ever ride :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdcadillac

Every mile start with the first step. So true :smile:
I just need advise on how to achieve more endurance. Do I have to focus on riding by minutes (20, 25, 30 .....) or do I have to focus on mileage (5km, 6, 7....)? do I have to set target by month or weeks and at what increment for beginner?
Also I want to start monitoring riding metrics. I know for wattage it is so expensive and I am not going that route for now. My watch record my speed average and speed max per km. is it enough or do I have buy something else for cadence that is not expensive. your feedback is very much appreciated.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Cycling does not need any complication. A basic wired cycle computer will give you more than enough information. For the vast majority of the 45 years that I've ridden bikes I have had no ride data whatsoever. I could calculate my rough speed over a known route distance using elapsed time, and that's about it.
Wattage and cadence is irrelevant garbage for the leisure cyclist. Your legs find their own natural cadence, and your power output depends on how much weight you have to shift, and how much drag to overcome. you can't do anything about those numbers anyway, they are what they need to be, no more no less.
Don't get fixated by all this technobabble, just ride often and have a day off if you feel tired or under the weather.
A load of riders who record all sorts of shoot in minute detail are now going to pop up and say that I am a Luddite for simply riding bikes in such a casual and unscientific manner, and knowing their wattage, heart rate, and cadence is absolutely critical, to their performance. Unless they are pro level racers, it's all a load of bollox.

Every mile start with the first step. So true :smile:
I just need advise on how to achieve more endurance. Do I have to focus on riding by minutes (20, 25, 30 .....) or do I have to focus on mileage (5km, 6, 7....)? do I have to set target by month or weeks and at what increment for beginner?
Also I want to start monitoring riding metrics. I know for wattage it is so expensive and I am not going that route for now. My watch record my speed average and speed max per km. is it enough or do I have buy something else for cadence that is not expensive. your feedback is very much appreciated.

You want to do triathlons? What do you want to do by when?

Reactions: mjr

si_c

Guru
Congrats on getting a bike :okay:

For endurance at this stage your best bet is to just worry about getting out and going for a ride, don't worry too much about any performance metrics as @SkipdiverJohn says as you're not going to get much benefit at the moment. A good training plan at this point is to think about time as your key measure - go for a half hour ride every day for a week then next week make one of those rides an hour for example. Keep upping the time you spend on the bike until you are comfortable out for a couple of hours. Ride at a pace a little below the one you think you can just sustain for the time you are out. It may take a few tries before you figure out what that is :laugh:

If you ride to time what you will find is that even if you are only going out for an hour at a time that as your fitness on the bike rises the distance you travel will rise without you thinking about it too much. You can develop a proper training plan later once you've got your base fitness up to a good level. For the moment just get out and enjoy your rides.

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

Cycling does not need any complication. A basic wired cycle computer will give you more than enough information. For the vast majority of the 45 years that I've ridden bikes I have had no ride data whatsoever. I could calculate my rough speed over a known route distance using elapsed time, and that's about it.
Wattage and cadence is irrelevant garbage for the leisure cyclist. Your legs find their own natural cadence, and your power output depends on how much weight you have to shift, and how much drag to overcome. you can't do anything about those numbers anyway, they are what they need to be, no more no less.
Don't get fixated by all this technobabble, just ride often and have a day off if you feel tired or under the weather.
A load of riders who record all sorts of shoot in minute detail are now going to pop up and say that I am a Luddite for simply riding bikes in such a casual and unscientific manner, and knowing their wattage, heart rate, and cadence is absolutely critical, to their performance. Unless they are pro level racers, it's all a load of bollox.
I like the idea of riding all week and take a day off. I will try that. Thank you

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

Congrats on getting a bike :okay:

For endurance at this stage your best bet is to just worry about getting out and going for a ride, don't worry too much about any performance metrics as @SkipdiverJohn says as you're not going to get much benefit at the moment. A good training plan at this point is to think about time as your key measure - go for a half hour ride every day for a week then next week make one of those rides an hour for example. Keep upping the time you spend on the bike until you are comfortable out for a couple of hours. Ride at a pace a little below the one you think you can just sustain for the time you are out. It may take a few tries before you figure out what that is :laugh:

If you ride to time what you will find is that even if you are only going out for an hour at a time that as your fitness on the bike rises the distance you travel will rise without you thinking about it too much. You can develop a proper training plan later once you've got your base fitness up to a good level. For the moment just get out and enjoy your rides.
Thanks Si_C I will do that and take one day off and build from there :smile:

I am aiming for sprint marathon in 3 years and an olympic in 5 years. I am new to bike riding but have been swimming and spinning for a year now.

Ok, thats a fairly long term goal. Tbh, at this stage, the main thing is to get out regularly. If you manage to put a couple of months in before the winter comes and then get out again in the spring, then you'll be in a reasonable position. Depending on the level (time) you're aiming for, you should be able to do 25 miles (olympic) regularly before winter? Then next year, think about speed and maybe join a club for motivation?

If your aim is a sprint triathlon which is around 12-15 miles, in cycling terms that's not really a endurance event in itself.
I train for CX racing, which for us old fellas is a 40 minute flat out race, its not endurance!. I was told by my old coach my endurance rides only need to be twice my intended race event so only 80 minutes . My training revolves around getting my power up to last 40 minutes, ok triathlon is a little more involved having done a swim first and having some stuff left over for a run. I follow a specific CX training plan at the moment which only calls for one 2hr ride a week, the rest is efforts, big ones of up to 5 minutes within a 1hr period.
Training for endurance I have done before for 100 mile plus events and then of course i could not train over 200 miles but would put in regular 80 miles but only a couple per week.
Depending how old you are and how used to training you are, riding 6 days per week is probably not what is called for especially as when are you fitting in your swim and run training. I am a old fart doing big efforts and i get at least 2 to 3 days off per week and i am not doing swim or running as well. You are probably younger so maybe dont need 3 days off .
I was in a triathlon club years ago ( never competed as my swim was diabolacal and decided it was not for me) and most people put more emphasis on the swim and run than the cycle. ( swim sets your position up gets you to the front of the pack, maintain in the cycle and blow your doors off in the run)

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

Ok, thats a fairly long term goal. Tbh, at this stage, the main thing is to get out regularly. If you manage to put a couple of months in before the winter comes and then get out again in the spring, then you'll be in a reasonable position. Depending on the level (time) you're aiming for, you should be able to do 25 miles (olympic) regularly before winter? Then next year, think about speed and maybe join a club for motivation?
Thanks Martin. Last October I Joined a local Triathlon club and that was a good push on cycling but was indoor spinning only. Once the pandemic hit I was spinning for 3 months till June on my indoor bike. Once it was broken I decided it is a good time to have a real bike. I am not rushing to do both sprint and olympic as I want to make sure my body get adjusted to the endurance slowly and not in speedy way that could cause injuries ( 3 sports in one could be tough on body if it is not taking gradually). I enjoyed real bike experience in yesterday riding and as you mentioned I will try to do as much as I can before the winter :smile:

Thanks Martin. Last October I Joined a local Triathlon club and that was a good push on cycling but was indoor spinning only. Once the pandemic hit I was spinning for 3 months till June on my indoor bike. Once it was broken I decided it is a good time to have a real bike. I am not rushing to do both sprint and olympic as I want to make sure my body get adjusted to the endurance slowly and not in speedy way that could cause injuries ( 3 sports in one could be tough on body if it is not taking gradually). I enjoyed real bike experience in yesterday riding and as you mentioned I will try to do as much as I can before the winter :smile:

If you've been cycling outdoor/indoor for getting on for a year, you must be able to do 25 miles? Or is there some problem or ...? Sounds strange for a tri club to do indoor cycling only, was that during the wintet?

For me, Id get bored if the goal was 3 or 5 years in the future. Being sensible is good, but triathlons are not particularly risky injury wise?

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

If your aim is a sprint triathlon which is around 12-15 miles, in cycling terms that's not really a endurance event in itself.
I train for CX racing, which for us old fellas is a 40 minute flat out race, its not endurance!. I was told by my old coach my endurance rides only need to be twice my intended race event so only 80 minutes . My training revolves around getting my power up to last 40 minutes, ok triathlon is a little more involved having done a swim first and having some stuff left over for a run. I follow a specific CX training plan at the moment which only calls for one 2hr ride a week, the rest is efforts, big ones of up to 5 minutes within a 1hr period.
Training for endurance I have done before for 100 mile plus events and then of course i could not train over 200 miles but would put in regular 80 miles but only a couple per week.
Depending how old you are and how used to training you are, riding 6 days per week is probably not what is called for especially as when are you fitting in your swim and run training. I am a old fart doing big efforts and i get at least 2 to 3 days off per week and i am not doing swim or running as well. You are probably younger so maybe dont need 3 days off .
I was in a triathlon club years ago ( never competed as my swim was diabolacal and decided it was not for me) and most people put more emphasis on the swim and run than the cycle. ( swim sets your position up gets you to the front of the pack, maintain in the cycle and blow your doors off in the run)
Thanks Harry. I am in my late forties and I have been doing swimming twice a week, cycling twice a week and one day for strength. I find it hard and sometimes only did 4 days by reducing the cycling part. my 2 days spinning was one hour of intervals each that was medium to high. after the pandemic I didn't swim much and now with the bike I will enjoy the rides 6 day a week for 30 minutes with low intensity just to get comfortable with the bike and the bike conformable with me :smile: In the winter if swimming is back to normal I will go back again to normal ( 2 swim, 2 indoor rides and one strength) with 2-3 days rest,. Thanks again and have a nice week end

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

If you've been cycling outdoor/indoor for getting on for a year, you must be able to do 25 miles? Or is there some problem or ...? Sounds strange for a tri club to do indoor cycling only, was that during the wintet?

For me, Is get boredom the goal was 3 or 5 years in the future. Being sensible is good, but triathlons are not particularly risky injury wise?
No there was no problem but I was doing spinning and never know how much was that in Km. Yes I joined in October and they stopped in mid March due to the pandemic. I didn't have a road bike and was planning to do only spinning with them for the first year but with the pandemic and a broken spinning bike a home it pushes me to change plan to buy a road bike this year.
Triathlon could have a huge risk specially in swimming (to be able to swim 1.5 km and follow with the rest ) it is tough. Most serious injuries happen in swimming

Top Bottom