First flat in two decades

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Commuted to work by bicycle yesterday, not a common occurrence. After 50 odd miles (80+ km), and a mile or two from home, the front tyre went flat at about 20mph (32kph) on a main road (50mph limit) at the height of rush hour. My first flat in 20 years or so - I've changed plenty of tyres on my vintage bikes but not on either of the two 2020s bikes - the newest of the older bikes is 1980s.
I tried to change the tube on the roadside but couldn't break the bead enough to remove the tube so I was forced to swallow my pride and ring home for a pick up and wrestle the tyre later.
Tonight it took me nearly an hour to change the tube and remove the hawthorn that caused the blowout. At one stage I was thinking something fundamental had changed in the design of modern rims and tyres. There has been, but I don't think that was what the issue was. The tyre and tube had been on the bike for 1,984 miles (3,192 km) and I suspect the rubber and aluminium had bonded slightly. The hardest bit putting the tyre back on was the same as ever. Getting the last bit back over the rim is still a pain, but I managed to do it without resorting to the tyre levers - quite pleased with that. Hopefully that will be my last flat for another few decades.
I do like the pop sound the tyre makes when reinflating and it seats again.
Tech bit: tyre - Schwalbe Smart Sam 57-622
rim - 29" RODi Etrto 622 x 25 alloy 6063
DSC_2089.JPG

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
No flats in twenty years. What did you have to promise the devil to get that?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Would love to know what your typical annual mileage has been during this incredible puncture free period?

The tight tyre problem you have had is a symptom of modern rims which seem to be manufactured to a tubeless ready spec regardless of the buyer wanting tubeless or not! Strange really as I would expect a tyre of that size to almost fall off the rim and definitely not require tyre levers.

I cycle a varied tyre and surface combination throughout the year but probably only suffer 2 or 3 punctures a year tops and most of them are due to pinching an MTB tyre when off-road.

Venod

Eh up
I got my first flat in a long time last Saturday, I won't say puncture because I have had a few but they have sealed, I run tubeless on all my bikes, last Saturday it wouldn't seal even with a worm, so I had to remove the tyre and the fluid, dry everything off, remove several thorns and a nail and insert a tube, I tried a internal patch when I got home, but the tyre is distorted, so a new one ordered, the most faff since running tubeless.

Last edited:

Nibor

Bewildered
Modern (read tubeless ready) rims have shoulders to help the tyre seat you need to pust the tyre off these by pushing the tyre wall toward the centre of the rim all the way around to unseat it and this will make them a lot easier to get off I learned the hard way

Top Bottom