first folder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Got my hands on my first folder this weekend, a Dahon Mu Uno picked up vie ebay. Something about the simplicity of no gears and no brake cables to get tangled or twisted is quite appealing. I did intend buying a new one but found discovered the 2012 model has done away with the rear coaster brake due to some silly UK law so to get the coaster I had to go second hand but the bike was hardly ridden and in perfect condition. Despite being a "roadie" ive always fancied having a decent folder in the boot of the car ready for go for a quick spin either at lunchtime of if I'm off some place new with work I can do some exploring at the end of the day. Just hope the bike lives up to my expectations, anyone here got one of these, would be interesting to hear your feedback.

Paul.G.

Brommyboy

Über Member
The law requires a brake for each wheel. There is no reason not to sell the 'back-pedal' or coaster brake other than dealer reluctance! The same applies to dynamo lights! The simplicity of only having the front brake cable is ideal for a folding cycle. Many cyclists over the years have managed perfectly well with a single speed gear, too.

StuartG

slower but further
My fault, but I've had brake cable snap on me. Having a back-up, however inadequate, can be a lifesaver.

There is no excuse for cables being a problem with folders other than criminally bad design. If they fail on that do you want to trust them with the rest of the components?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have an old Compass folder with coaster brake on the back. It brakes reasonably well though you can lock the wheel if not carefull but what I dont like about it is that at junctions you cant back pedal to put the pedal in a good place for setting off.

Top Bottom