First folding bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I have never owned a Brompton, but, a friend did loan me one for a day.

They are excellent.

While I agree with the buying cheap is not usually wise, I think, like most things, there is a balance.

We have "cheap" (£200) Chinese Dahon copies.

There is not way they are as good as the Brompton, in terms of ease of riding, or, folding, but, we can easily do 10-15 miles on them (we are 73 yer olds), if the terrain is reasonably flat.

So, in summary, it depends on what you plan to do, our folders are not as practical as the Brompton to take on train (we bought them to take in boot of car, or, in Motorhome), but, if that is not your plan, then, does that matter?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Thanks @mitchibob for your honest account of the Decathlon bike. My husband is convinced for now I'd be best with a cheap Decathlon one and if I use it a lot to upgrade to a Brompton in the longer term. Like many at the moment, I could be at risk of redundancy soon, and if I were to lose my job it sounds like I'd have to pay off the bike without tax relief. Not ideal if I choose to buy a Brompton now!

I
Dont by a cheap Decathalon folding bike. Buy a cheap Tern bike off ebay if you dont want to get a Brompton now.

Wookee

Another Brompton fan here. I bought mine last year after trying out several different options in Halfords and Decathlon. The Brompton shop in Covent Garden were really good and let me try both a 2 and 6 speed. Nothing else comes close when you consider the quality, ride and fold.

If you can hire one from a dock then give it a go. When you try out others you will see the difference.

OP
OP
S

starfish80

Update on this thread - I have just bought a bike! And I did at least listen to what you said and didn't buy a Decathlon one! :laugh:

By chance I came across a discontinued Tern A7 Link Bike for £280 in my local Evans Cycles shop. End of line, was £475. Just a couple of cosmetic marks and missing pedals which I can sort!

Having watched a used Tern Link bike go for £165 last night on eBay, I think this is a very good deal for a new one. Also, the Decathlon one I was looking at was £299, so again seems like a much better option.

I did look at the Bromptons and they are lovely, but as a brand new cyclist I think the Tern is the right bike for me now.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

mitchibob

Über Member
I will say one thing though, Decathlon bikes do vary. I bought one of their road bikes the day before lockdown so that I'd have something to put on a Smart Turbo if the worst happened, and it's incredible value for money. But a lot of that comes to using the same frameset across a lot of their range, and being able to bulk purchase decent groupsets. But that doesn't work with their folders.

Kell

Veteran
Congratulations on your deal.

Everything is relative, if the Tern works for you, then it's a good buy. I had three other folding bikes before I took the plunge on a Brompton, but the Brompton is by far the best for me.

I will say one thing though, Decathlon bikes do vary. I bought one of their road bikes the day before lockdown so that I'd have something to put on a Smart Turbo if the worst happened, and it's incredible value for money. But a lot of that comes to using the same frameset across a lot of their range, and being able to bulk purchase decent groupsets. But that doesn't work with their folders.

I also have a Triban bike. Everything I read at the time said it was the best bike under £500 and it was only £300 new.

(I did buy mine second hand though - for just £120.).

Unless I lost a lot of weight and/or got seriously into road cycling, I see no need to upgrade that yet. As you say, I don't think their folders are as well thought of.

Top Bottom