First hybrid bike purchase - options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pippin

Hi All,

As every one is doing I have decided to get my first bike^_^ After some research in the web I think I want a hybrid bike with flat handles.
Not planning to use it for regular commutes to work. It is more for getting fit and enjoying the ride. I live in Woking, Surrey where there are a few canal trails. I think I will enjoy the canal trail along with some road rides. The budget is around 500-700 max. After looking around for options I found Boardman MTX 8.8 seem to be a good spec for the money. Not in a hurry to get the bike delivered in a couple of weeks or so. I am happy to wait a bit longer if I can find a better option.

Is the Boardman a good option or is there something else you would recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Hi All,

As every one is doing I have decided to get my first bike^_^ After some research in the web I think I want a hybrid bike with flat handles.
Not planning to use it for regular commutes to work. It is more for getting fit and enjoying the ride. I live in Woking, Surrey where there are a few canal trails. I think I will enjoy the canal trail along with some road rides. The budget is around 500-700 max. After looking around for options I found Boardman MTX 8.8 seem to be a good spec for the money. Not in a hurry to get the bike delivered in a couple of weeks or so. I am happy to wait a bit longer if I can find a better option.

Is the Boardman a good option or is there something else you would recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Looks a good choice. Boardmans are generally good quality / value. Enjoy it.
I'd possibly not get front suspension (bit extra weight / maintenance / ...), but you can lock it out.

MarkF

Guru
I wouldn't bother with suspension either. Stock is low everywhere but "As new" bikes still pop up, I found a ridden once Specialized Sirrus through the most unlikeliest of sources 2 weeks ago and still can't believe my luck.^_^ Anyway........I've had umpteen of the following hybrids pass through my hands since 2009 and not had a single issue with any and they are very easy bikes to sell on.:okay:

Trek FX
Dawes Discovery
Specialized Sirrus
Giant Escape

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Looks a good choice. Boardmans are generally good quality / value. Enjoy it.
I'd possibly not get front suspension (bit extra weight / maintenance / ...), but you can lock it out.
+ 1

Welcome to the forum. Good choice of bike & hope you have many happy times on two wheels:smile:

There's a possibility you may want to look at a European style hybrid: they will often have mudguards to keep the rider & bike in good condition, a rack to carry things and integrated lights running from a dynamo at the front wheel. They are really versatile and even if a bit heavy, can be good fun too (I have one).
Bikester have these kind of hybrids as well as bikes more similar to the Boardman. I checked availability of one at the website: it states 6-8 working days from order - so, it might be that current stocks of bikes in Europe are better than here in UK - and quoting £29 delivery which isn't bad at all. I've found German bikes are usually very well priced for value.
The range and examples can be found here:
https://www.bikester.co.uk/bikes/touring-bikes.html
https://www.bikester.co.uk/bikes/trekkingbikes/hybrid-bikes.html

OP
OP
P

pippin

Thanks every one. Suspension is not a must. Happy to let go off that if there is an equivalent model without it for similar price range. The Boardman Hyb 8.8 for example is another 100 GBP on top of that. Am gonna try calling a few shops to check the stock. Wish me luck^_^

Thanks every one. Suspension is not a must. Happy to let go off that if there is an equivalent model without it for similar price range. The Boardman Hyb 8.8 for example is another 100 GBP on top of that. Am gonna try calling a few shops to check the stock. Wish me luck^_^
The Boardman 8.6 is £550 with a rigid front fork. Both appear to have mudguard and rack mounts if you need them. Personally, If go for something like that and if it's a bit under budget, stock up on the basic tools, mudguards, ...
Whether you get rigid or front suspension is really up to you. If it's mainly flat stuff, front suspension is not really necessary.

vickster

Legendary Member
You can check stock on the Halfords Website 👍

OP
OP
P

pippin

I checked Halford site and for my height 5'9'' size guide recommends a Medium sized frame. Unfortunately, there is none in stock with no info on expected availability :cry:

vickster

Legendary Member
I checked Halford site and for my height 5'9'' size guide recommends a Medium sized frame. Unfortunately, there is none in stock with no info on expected availability :cry:
Not surprised. Stocks are really low. Try local bike shops

Says click here for stock arriving next week. 8.6 medium due in next week but dont know if thats related to my local store

Top Bottom