First impressions of places - do they stand after you get to know the place?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just been to Barrow and waiting for the train out. Anyone been there and what was your first impression and your view of the place after getting to know the town? Also, can you think of a town you had certain feelings about bit after getting to know it you changed completely your opinion?

I'm curious as to whether first impressions are really accurate in the long term. Also, what's your view of Barrow especially long term views.

I'm kind of aware that I've heard a lot about it's reputations and trying not to base my views on them. So far I think good and bad. Not sure though. I've had similar feelings about other places, even very picturesque places that you'd think I should like.

Jameshow

Veteran
Bradford.... been here 30yrs and it's still the same... A hole waiting for another riot!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Just been to Barrow and waiting for the train out. Anyone been there and what was your first impression and your view of the place after getting to know the town? Also, can you think of a town you had certain feelings about bit after getting to know it you changed completely your opinion?

I'm curious as to whether first impressions are really accurate in the long term. Also, what's your view of Barrow especially long term views.

I'm kind of aware that I've heard a lot about it's reputations and trying not to base my views on them. So far I think good and bad. Not sure though. I've had similar feelings about other places, even very picturesque places that you'd think I should like.

Doss hole, town centre is dead, minimal investment into it for many years - an air of despondency settles on you upon arrival. There is a bit of a dichotomy in Barrow - if you work for BAE Systems you will be okay to pretty well off. Outside of that you are more than likely to be fairly strapped tbh.

Same in Whitehaven, if you work at Sellafield you are likely to be floating around in a nice car and living in a nice new, or relatively new, estate house, and if you don't you will likely have either no car or an old car and living in old war era, or just after, housing.

Back to Barrow, shame it is so unattractive as it is surrounded by some lovely countryside that would be the envy of many parts of the UK.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
As Ming says visiting and living somewhere are two different scenarios.
We had to make up our minds pretty quick whether we wanted to move to Tobermory to take up an attractive job offer.
Checked youth activities like Scouts which were very active, library could not compare with where we were, no nearby swimming pool both negative points.
The schooling was checked ( my wife was a teacher and was able to get inside info) and was positive.
Good range of shops and pricing not too bad.
House not as good as we were leaving but would do.
Result was we came and liked it.
Now most shops sell tourist tat and the place is overcrowded to an unpleasant extent for most of the year as well as having far too many settlers with different values and snobbery issues.
I would happily leave if I could but it would be too expensive and I doubt I could cope with a flitting.
In any case my place in the cemetery alongside my wife is booked and paid for.

vickster

Legendary Member
There is a bit of a dichotomy in Barrow - if you work for BAE Systems you will be okay to pretty well off. Outside of that you are more than likely to be fairly strapped tbh.

Going to guess that’s who his new job is with then?

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
There's auxiliary companies that feed off these big companies so I'm not saying! There's a fair few places up the west coast of Cumbria that tbh you'd not like to live in. A few are worse than barrow I heard.

Interesting thing about Barrow, there's a campaign group fighting with the council. I don't know the details but they're accusing the council of ripping the heart out of the community and wasting money on the market. Didn't know it had a heart or a market! I thought it was basically BAE, big tesco store and Stollers. I've only been to two of those, oh and that sports social club that the K2B finishes at.

I once saw a comedian do a show in Barrow-in-Furness and a town in Norfolk. It was in TV I think. He made the same joke with the other town being the butt of the joke. Something about inbreeding, webbed feet and coping with rising sea levels / climate change. It's interesting how some coastal areas are kind of isolated!

Jameshow

Veteran
We had to make up our minds pretty quick whether we wanted to move to Tobermory to take up an attractive job offer.
Checked youth activities like Scouts which were very active, library could not compare with where we were, no nearby swimming pool both negative points.
The schooling was checked ( my wife was a teacher and was able to get inside info) and was positive.
Good range of shops and pricing not too bad.
House not as good as we were leaving but would do.
Result was we came and liked it.
Now most shops sell tourist tat and the place is overcrowded to an unpleasant extent for most of the year as well as having far too many settlers with different values and snobbery issues.
I would happily leave if I could but it would be too expensive and I doubt I could cope with a flitting.
In any case my place in the cemetery alongside my wife is booked and paid for.

I reckon that it's worse almost everywhere else!!

Mid Wales to me is the best place I would like to live to tbh. The M65 corridor are the worse places imho. Blackburn, Burnley nelson etc.

stephec

Legendary Member
Doss hole, town centre is dead, minimal investment into it for many years - an air of despondency settles on you upon arrival. There is a bit of a dichotomy in Barrow - if you work for BAE Systems you will be okay to pretty well off. Outside of that you are more than likely to be fairly strapped tbh.

Same in Whitehaven, if you work at Sellafield you are likely to be floating around in a nice car and living in a nice new, or relatively new, estate house, and if you don't you will likely have either no car or an old car and living in old war era, or just after, housing.

Back to Barrow, shame it is so unattractive as it is surrounded by some lovely countryside that would be the envy of many parts of the UK.

There's some nice cars on Kimberly Clark's car park as well, they must be the second biggest employer in the town and it's always the same people there every time I go.

And thanks to BAE Barrow has one of the most expensive Premier Inns in the country.

albion

Guru
Nice cycling there. Off the train it was Walney Island, round the reservoir, Rampside, Bardsea and Ulveston.

I am unsure if I headed to Liverpool that day or more simply, Windermere. Well worth doing if you are touring or simply exploring from the Lakes.
Cycling is great for giving a rosy picture.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
There's the sea, what more do you need? 😆

Seriously though, I think it's a double edged sword living in any tourist area. Luss is a great example of that!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have long believed that to get to know an area, don't drive through it, don't even cycle, but walk through it, take your time and look at things, don't hurry, just watch and listen, talk to people too.
I tried that in Salford once as a student but turned round and legged it when 3 thuggish-looking youths spotted me and made it clear that my face needed rearranging! :eek: :whistle:

Top Bottom