First long ride in prep for my 60 miler!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike!

Guru
I'm doing the suffolk coast ride at the beginning of August so thought it was about time I got some mileage under my belt!

I've only been riding for the last couple of months, commuting the 5.5 miles into work on average 3 days a week.

Had an oppurtunity to get out this morning so decided to head to the coast, Orford Quay to be exact. It's been a lovely ride, found the last 6 miles really hard as my right knee started to play up (it used to do that a lot with football so i'm not surprised!).

Did 35 miles in total at just over 2 and a half hours, computer said an average of 13.5mph. I did take fully laidened panniers too...lol

Quite happy with the ride but am a bit worried about my knee now, hope it will be up to a 60 miler! I'll rest for a few days and hope to do another long ride next weekend :biggrin:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
That's a good pace for the range (and weight). Give it a rest as you say, then try it again. I find I can either extend range or speed, but never both.

chigman

Hi

I will also hopefully be doing this ride. I have only been back into cycling a short while and have been getting out three times a week doing 20-25 miles on the midweek rides, and have just been trying to extend the weekend (Sunday) ride week by week. We did a 50 miler this Sunday gone and that's the furthest we've been so far. Was tired at the end of it but felt great for doing it.:angry:

Steve

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
Thanks arallsopp, it's nice to know the pace is decent!

chigman - sounds like you are further down the road regarding training than me!!

dnrc

Veteran
I'll be doing this ride too.

I've just continued my training from the london to brighton.

I'm doing 20 miles mondays, 8 plus my 5 a side footy wednesdays and then i'm up to about 50 on saturday but am increasing that each week (although i have to admit to cutting last saturdays short so I could watch the footy!!)

Top Bottom