First metric century

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattobrien

Guru
Very pleased to have got up before sunrise to get out and explore some new roads in Suffolk.

By happy accident and bad navigating on my part, an little detour meant that I notched up my first metric century.

By the time we were heading back into town we saw lots of other cyclists heading out. We both agreed that real men get their work done before 10am :-)

Many thanks to Mr Jimmy the Whiskers for good company, the miles flew by.

Now on to the imperial century next month.

Matt

P.S. averaged a quite respectable 17.1mph too.

Johnym

Well done mate :-)

OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
First imperial century planned for 13th May. It might be a bit ambitious but I am hoping to complete it in under 6 hours (rolling), which would mean I need to average 16.7mph.

I think it should be doable at that pace. I checked average speed twice on the metric 100, the first half was 16.6 mph and it was 17.1 at the end, which by my bad maths means that we did the second half at 17.6mph. I am thinking that if I am to keep a constant average it shouldn't be a problem.

Also the second half was more hilly than the first, well being in Suffolk they aren't really hills, but you get what I mean.

Fubar

Guru
Well Done, congratulations! Like you I managed my first metric century on Saturday more by accident than design - though at a much slower pace than your good-self! 100 miles still seems a way of for me yet... :blush:

PpPete

Legendary Member
And when you've done the imperial century ...it's not much further to 200 km.
But, time for a HEALTH WARNING.... audax is horribly addictive.

OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
I am hoping / planning to do the Dunwich Dynamo, which with the ride home ought to take the total distance to around 150 miles, so I think I may have already caught the bug.

The only issue is that it is Le Mans a couple of weekends before, which is likely to undo the results of much of the training. Plus I may be a little short on brownie points with Mrs O, so bargaining to get the timeout from the little ones might be tricky.

Top Bottom