First new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Isabella

Regular
I,m thinking of the raleigh voyager lx for my first new bike!! I won,t be doing anything other than just cycle tracks. I like the low step through too. The weight is ok too for me to lift myself onto the bike rack. Up to five miles now on my very uncomfortable secondhand bike but sticking at it! Any reviews before I buy! Went to a lovely cycle shop in meadowfield, co Durham and was given very good advice and measured etc. but the bikes were a little too expensive for me just starting cycling BUT if it had been a horse saddle I wouldn't,t have thought twice. If I were younger I would perhaps consider! So much to think about!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I,m thinking of the raleigh voyager lx for my first new bike!! I won,t be doing anything other than just cycle tracks. I like the low step through too. The weight is ok too for me to lift myself onto the bike rack. Up to five miles now on my very uncomfortable secondhand bike but sticking at it! Any reviews before I buy! Went to a lovely cycle shop in meadowfield, co Durham and was given very good advice and measured etc. but the bikes were a little too expensive for me just starting cycling BUT if it had been a horse saddle I wouldn't,t have thought twice. If I were younger I would perhaps consider! So much to think about!

Was the shop Infinity Cycles - good guys.

But as you say, the bikes are medium to high end.

Was there anything in there you could stretch to?

The benefit of having a good bike shop on board cannot be underestimated, particularly if you are a new cyclist and not skilled/cannot be bothered with maintenance.

OP
OP
I

Isabella

Regular
Was the shop Infinity Cycles - good guys.

But as you say, the bikes are medium to high end.

Was there anything in there you could stretch to?

The benefit of having a good bike shop on board cannot be underestimated, particularly if you are a new cyclist and not skilled/cannot be bothered with maintenance.
Yes it was Infinity Cycles! I can stretch to .BUT I will probably knock it about a bit. Still mulling! Thanks for your input, much appreciated. Stay safe!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yes it was Infinity Cycles! I can stretch to .BUT I will probably knock it about a bit. Still mulling! Thanks for your input, much appreciated. Stay safe!

I don't know much about the Raleigh you like, but it will be a decent bike for the money.

As you've worked out, the cheaper bikes tend to be heavier, but other than that they are fine.

Not sure where you are, but Peter Darke Cycles in Sunderland is another good shop, and has bikes more in your price range.

A lady friend of mine recently bought a Claude Butler from Darkes which is similar spec and price to the Raleigh.

I know one of the lads from Infinity and he is an excellent fella. Very knowledgeable and extremely helpful. Ideal if, like me, you aren't too clever with the maintainance side of things. If you do go with them they'll look after you for sure.
Good luck with whatever you choose and keep going.

sreten

Hi,

If you have a bike, then you can take your time finding a suitable used bike,
of the hardly used bought new type, and often about half the new price.Half
the money of a new bike, or a bike twice as expensive new or inbetween.

rgds, sreten.

Top Bottom