First night ride of the year tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

...the nights are drawing in & it got dark half way through the ride....lucky I took my lights ....looks like that night vision jacket is going to get some use soon

stevenb

I can't remember the last time I rode at night in the dark....was yonks ago.....was still good fun though. :smile:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hey BTFB
Now do it all the time, 2 winters ago, got into it in a big way, live about 6 miles from Oxford, several lit routes to get there and once in town after 8 o/c it's pretty quiet on the roads, most are well lit and have bus lanes....peachy!
Often used to go out for 2 hours from 9 'till 11, quick milkshake (Oo-er missus) shower and bed. Didn't really eat into family time, roads were really peaceful.

Now we have a regular posse of 3 or for riders twice a week for company. better than being in on the Turbo (which is OK for an hour).

Get as much high viz and the brightest possible lighting...it's great fun.

ash68

still manage to get commute done before it gets dark,but as you say btfb it won't be long now. Been thinking of one of those night vision jackets for the dark nights seem to be quite good for reflective trim. I like cycling in the dark but its these nights when the lights just starting to fade I don't like.Bike lights arn't always seen by drivers in semi-dark and bright gear doesn't seem bright enough.:smile:

Noodley

Fab Foodie said:
Often used to go out for 2 hours from 9 'till 11, quick milkshake (Oo-er missus) shower and bed.

Just away to start this again on Monday. I seem to be less inclined to go out at night when it is still light which I suppose is a bit strange, but then again this Summer has been crap so maybe I have just been lazy.

However, I love night riding. :smile::smile: Even better if a slight drizzle. Clear night, little wind, slight drizzle. Perfect.

Noodley

Oh, the "Night Vision" jackets do not help you see in the dark BTW, just in case you were confused. You'll still need lights :smile::ohmy:

Fab Foodie

Noodley said:
However, I love night riding. :biggrin::smile: Even better if a slight drizzle. Clear night, little wind, slight drizzle. Perfect.

You imply there are other kinds of weather in Scotland????

Sorry forgot.

There's; wind and drizzle, cloud and drizzle, mist and drizzle, rain and drizzle...
:smile::ohmy:

Noodley

Fab Foodie said:
You imply there are other kinds of weather in Scotland????

Sorry forgot.

There's; wind and drizzle, cloud and drizzle, mist and drizzle, rain and drizzle...
:ohmy::biggrin:

No, there is howling gales and snow, howling gales and sleet, howling gales and hailstones, rain, heavy rain, snow, heavy snow, hailstones and snow, freezing cold, wet, damp, dreich, etc. Each of them is good to ride in if it is dark.

The worst weather of all is? Slightly damp, or a flake of snow or nearing less than 5 degress or a breeze which whips up leaves - in London. Then we all have to endure hearing about it for months! :smile::biggrin:

Fab Foodie

Noodley said:
The worst weather of all is? Slightly damp, or a flake of snow or nearing less than 5 degress or a breeze which whips up leaves - in London. Then we all have to endure hearing about it for months! :smile::ohmy:

That's not weather, that's grounds enough to declare a "State of National Emergency!" :biggrin:

Noodley

Fab Foodie said:
That's not weather, that's grounds enough to declare a "State of National Emergency!" :smile:

Add a leaf on the railway line into the equation and the "country would grind to a halt" - I always wonder if any Londoners realise nobody outside London actually gives a toss or do they really believe we all depend on them?

Top Bottom