First nutter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neslon

Last week, as I was going up the great north road, some twunt came right up behind, sounded the horn, went past with about 5cm to spare, then cut in sharply (the outside lane being empty!). As the car sped off, the driver was pointing to the side of the road. It took me a bit by surprise, so I didnt get the full reg. By the time I got to work (7 miles later) I had put it to the back of my mind.
Until Monday.

When the same thing happened, same time, same road, same car - this time I got the whole reg & as soon as I got work, emailed Northumbria police. Within hours, they rang me, got details, said they would go round to the registered owners address to see the owner and add the complaint to the datafile on the owner.

1. Do complain - if this driver is doing this to me (or you) then other, less capable & confident cyclists are probably also at risk
2. Assume the police will act on behalf of reasonable law abiding complainants
3. Get a helmet cam ( the PC I spoke to was very enthusiastic about the value of video evidence from such sources, even said it was a shame I didnt have one).
So (and I know Mag and Arch have been fielding queries like this for ages), which cam should I buy, that records to card, not video, and wiil be useable in midwinter at 6:30?

Maz

Guru
Sorry to hear this but glad the cops are doing something about it

"he was pointing to the side of the road" you say...was he pointing to a cycle lane or something? Drivers like this are so frickin anal. They make me sick.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Good news about plod. You'll find most people on here have had limited success with complaints to the police. Let us know how it turns out.

OP
OP
N

neslon

"he was pointing to the side of the road" you say...was he pointing to a cycle lane or something?

Nope, no cycle lane there. "Get out of my way?" "Get in the gutter?" "Use the pavement?"

Who knows? What I find really disappointing is that recently, I have been surprised by how many drivers have gone out of their way to show consideration, and how road users seem to rub along quite harmoniously. This driver clearly has a problem - I did try to catch up, but before 0700 the roads are empty & he was away. If I had caught up......

hmm....

Mr Pig

That's a great result. The cops round my way are bone idle though but good on you mate. Hopefully that's one moron who'll think twice about intimidating a cyclist.

Wolf04

neslon said:
"Nope, no cycle lane there. "Get out of my way?" "Get in the gutter?" "Use the pavement?"
I get this on a regular basis, not quite in the stupid manner you experienced though. Theres a small section of my commute where if I ride in primary (always do here as the tarmac has collapsed into one long pothole) I delay the following traffic for about three seconds. I'm surprised if I don't get one of them sounding their horn as they pass. I use to respond in kind with the Airzound but now I just give them a serene wave from my tranquil zone of karmic benevolence:biggrin: Well unless I'm having a strop then it's the Airzound:evil:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Made me chuckle, wolfie!

I tend to point down at any obstruction like that when I'm taking primary to make it obvious to the drivers behind. When I then go back to secondary after the obstruction and wave them through, I often get a thank you instead of beeping!

Wolf04

BentMikey said:
Made me chuckle, wolfie!

I tend to point down at any obstruction like that when I'm taking primary to make it obvious to the drivers behind. When I then go back to secondary after the obstruction and wave them through, I often get a thank you instead of beeping!

Sounds like good advice cheers I'll give it a try.

Top Bottom