First "off"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S.Giles

Had my first fall today. Hit some black ice in the cycle lane (covered in leaves) and came off right into the middle of the road.

Driver behind manger to stop before he ran over me and my bike

Cuts and bruises, sore hip, grazed hands but bike survived with just a small bit of plastic chipped off!!

Feel like a real cyclist now!
Welcome to the club!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not always just ask Froome and Contador......
They're freaks pushing the envelope (hopefully not pushing anything else!). They're not real cyclists. They're exceptional. That's why they get paid and real cyclists do it for the enjoyment. If you enjoy crashing, that's... erm... unusual.

Edit: I have crashed on ice last year but I don't think it's a necessary or desirable thing for riders to do!

OP
OP
Luked1980

Luked1980

No one told me the second day would be more painful!!!

Whole body aches at the moment. Only the 3rd time I had been out on the new bike as well!!

All taken in good spirits but also a bit of a lesson for me. It's not as easy as just Getting on a bike and riding. There is a skill to it that I need to learn. Experience will also now tell me not to ride through the cycle lanes like that, something most of you already knew!!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I ride on decent cycleways, although I do switch to the carriageway when it's icy because our council doesn't grit cycleways despite their warm words about supporting cycling! Just don't assume that cycleway means it's worth using: judge each one as you see it.

si_c

Guru
No one told me the second day would be more painful!!!

Whole body aches at the moment. Only the 3rd time I had been out on the new bike as well!!

All taken in good spirits but also a bit of a lesson for me. It's not as easy as just Getting on a bike and riding. There is a skill to it that I need to learn. Experience will also now tell me not to ride through the cycle lanes like that, something most of you already knew!!

Also avoid paint, can get very slippery when wet ( ;) ) or icy, nearly went arse over tit on some today, and I wasn't even on my bike :biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

sarahale

Über Member
Also watch out if they ever sweep up mushy leaves, they did this near me and what was left behind was like ice, came straight off and landed on a well placed piece of glass haha. Was on my way to the bike shop to get my bike fixed up luckily as it didn't take the fall very well.

Top Bottom