First prang...whoops...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SirDickieBird

A mile from home - had a good (short and quick-ish) blast - and a familiar double bend been around many a time. First bend - dry soil on the road, second bend was mud. Felt a twitch, corrected then as started to go straight a gust of wind across the field and splat. Shoulder, hip, knee, cheek hit the deck. Hole in my brand-new (first time out) leg warmers and bashed in the rear derailleur and my handlebars.

Pushed the derailleur a bit and it changes to all the gears but there's now a disconcertingly-big clunk as you change up. Hanger doesn't look bent. Would like to repair myself but need some advice - new derailleur not too much (Shimano Sora about £25).

Pride hurt too - and annoyed by the fact I'll be back on the MTB for a bit probably... Feel like a prat falling off my bike - isn't that what you do as a kid?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Hope nothing is too badly hurt apart from pride, SDB! Bike bits can always be replaced but body bits are what really matter.

Everybody comes off sooner or later, so chalk it up to experience. At this time of the year mud from the fields and leaves are the main dangers.

D

Deleted member 1258

Hope you've not doe yourself too much damage, theres not much you can do, repair the bike and chalk it up to experience.

QFour

Regular
I just fell off outside the house on the tarmac. Good job its a very low recumbent or there could / would have been tears. It does hurt your pride but it happens occasionally and you just have to climb back on.

I am trying to learn to ride a Challenger Low Racer .. I can now get all the way round the small estate I live on including the speed humps. Bit wobbly in parts but getting there.

Just have to watch out for our neighbours. Its a very quiet little estate so they reverse out without looking :eek:

OP
OP
SirDickieBird

SirDickieBird

Went for first post-prang pootle the other morning. New Continental 4 Seasons (think that's what they're called) - 25mm and much tackier-feeling than the 23mm Gatorskins. Took it steady as set off in -2...brrr. Think I need to upgrade the winter kit as muscles really weren't firing right in the cold.

Usual average on similar routes is 17mph. Managed 15... I blame slower descents as was constantly on the brakes a touch on the big ones so never got into the 30s to balance things out and wasn't doing any sprints on the flats either.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you have to bend the RD hanger, order a new one. They are made from brittle alloy so that they will snap sacrificially, protecting your frame and derailleur. If you bend and re-bend one it will soon snap sending the RD into the spokes and causing catastrophic damage.

Come to think of it, once you've found the right hanger buy two and keep one for spare.

Top Bottom