First proper commute tomorrow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steppylud

Über Member
Afternoon.

I am planning my first proper commute into work tomorow. I live in North Surrey / Kingston border and work in Victoria. Does anyone do a similar route and if so are there any particularly crappier areas to avoid. At the moment my choice of routes are either Richmond Park -> putney -> embankment or Wimbledon -> tooting clapham common. Any advice please?

Thanks in advance.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A good route that. Will be very busy with other cyclists, and I mean lots...especially through Richmond Park and onwards to the Embankment etc.
I think @Sittingduck does Putney to St Pauls.

vickster

Legendary Member
I wouldn't do cs7 If riding between 7.30 and 9. Just too many cyclists to avoid as well as the local in motorised vehicles, tooting onwards is horrible. Also heavy rain and thunderstorms forecast from 6 onwards, if concerned about bad weather

Yep, I'd go over the bridge into Hampton court, then up to Richmond hill, then down to Putney and over the bridge then take the Embankment to Victoria.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think the OP is in Tolworth so would make sense to get into Richmond park through another gate

OP
OP
Steppylud

Steppylud

Über Member
yeah Richmond Park for me the entrance has to be kingston gate / queens gate whatever its called. CS7 was the main reason for thinking about not going that way and going through the Park instead.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd go through the park. Cs7 gets most unpleasant after Clapham so if you can meander your way parallel to the Wandsworth road to Vauxhall or similar and avid Clapham and Stockwell it may be better. I just don't like cs7 after being knocked off and it wasn't even so busy!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Rich Park>
Priory Ln>
Bolan Bridge>
Lower Rich Rd>
Left over Putney Bridge>
First right (before New Kings Rd)>
Follow it through fire access and left before Hurlingham Park>
Right at end and follow rd down past the park (Broomhouse Ln)>
Straight across at lights by Wandsworth Bridge>
Bear left at mini RAB (Sainsbo's)>
Straight over next mini RAB and through barrier by Imperial Wharf>
Right at next mini RAB onto Lots Rd>
Right at end and onto Embankment>
Gas it into the City>>>

Simontm

Veteran
That sounds very similar to what I had planned
Agree with @Sittingduck I'm down the road at Thames Ditton and that's one of the routes I use when heading into town. The other is slightly different in that I go down Kings Road, turn left after Stamford Bridge into Lots Road and follow it round to the Embankment.

J1888

Über Member
I used to do Balham into town - avoided large parts of CS7 by going through Clapham Common from south side, then down Cedar's Rd and along Wandsworth Rd - much preferred it to CS7.

Vauxhall is a 'mare IMO - too many cars changing lanes without due care or indication - I eventually began turning off to the right before reaching Vauxhall and pootling round the back - way easier.

Top Bottom