First proper commute tomorrow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It ended with my gutted. I completely wussed out (with an extra ear bashing from the mrs) at the prospect of thunderstorms on the way home which never materialised. Today's lesson is have some balls.
This made me smile. When i first started commuting 7 years ago i would watch the weather forecast the night before and any possibility of rain or even a shower would deter me. I must have been a right wuss back then, and you feel a complete twit when it stays dry:headshake:

OP
OP
Steppylud

Steppylud

Über Member
I used to do Balham into town - avoided large parts of CS7 by going through Clapham Common from south side, then down Cedar's Rd and along Wandsworth Rd - much preferred it to CS7.

Vauxhall is a 'mare IMO - too many cars changing lanes without due care or indication - I eventually began turning off to the right before reaching Vauxhall and pootling round the back - way easier.

I would never go as far as Vauxhall, Chelsea Bridge is the furthest I would ever go without crossing. Quite happy with the route that @Sittingduck suggested so hopefully will get to try this next week.

OP
OP
Steppylud

Steppylud

Über Member
This made me smile. When i first started commuting 7 years ago i would watch the weather forecast the night before and any possibility of rain or even a shower would deter me. I must have been a right wuss back then, and you feel a complete twit when it stays dry:headshake:

Exactly, and what would have been the major issue. I might have got a bit wet. There is a shower at home and at work, the only concern i would have had is that by work clothes would have got wet on the way in, I haven't got a particularly waterproof rucksack to carry things in yet.

Simontm

Veteran
Exactly, and what would have been the major issue. I might have got a bit wet. There is a shower at home and at work, the only concern i would have had is that by work clothes would have got wet on the way in, I haven't got a particularly waterproof rucksack to carry things in yet.
Before I got waterproof panniers, I used to simply use plastic bags inside for waterproofing which worked pretty well tho you can buy waterproof bag liners for around a tenner at Mountain Warehouse or Blacks.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

Put your gear in dry sacks and use a pack cover over the rucksack. Keep some spare kit at work during the summer so you have dry gear to ride home in, in winter there is usually no need if you have radiators at work.

I used to carry kit in a plastic bag strapped to the rear rack up until this year when i finally shelled out on a pair of Ortlieb panniers.I now tend to carry more gear than i actually need^_^

OP
OP
Steppylud

Steppylud

Über Member
Think I must have been a bit later than all that. CS8 was very quiet for me.

Top Bottom