First proper sportive under my belt. 60 miles along Causeway Coast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Irishrich

Über Member
I've been picking out a few sportives to enter this year as I've now been cycling for one year and want to challenge myself and see more sights than just my local area. Today's sportive was a 60 mile journey along the North Antrim Coast taking in the Giants Causeway road and a few steep hills out of Ballycastle. Loved it all and although it isn't a race I finished in a respectable 3hrs 20 mins averaging 17.5 mph. Made me realise that there's no point looking to upgrade my bike when it can get through events like this with no problems and can keep up with the faster boys, although not all the club runners who were averaging 20mph. On to the next one which is 85 miles around Lough Neagh!

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I've been picking out a few sportives to enter this year as I've now been cycling for one year and want to challenge myself and see more sights than just my local area. Today's sportive was a 60 mile journey along the North Antrim Coast taking in the Giants Causeway road and a few steep hills out of Ballycastle. Loved it all and although it isn't a race I finished in a respectable 3hrs 20 mins averaging 17.5 mph. Made me realise that there's no point looking to upgrade my bike when it can get through events like this with no problems and can keep up with the faster boys, although not all the club runners who were averaging 20mph. On to the next one which is 85 miles around Lough Neagh!

Well done you and good luck for the next one. Got my first 50 miler in October in the New Forest.:wacko:

OP
OP
Irishrich

Irishrich

Über Member
Cheers folks, my ride was fuelled by 2 bananas and a load of jelly babies which certainly did the job. Much cheaper and more effective in my opinion than those energy gels, plus much nicer on the tastebuds. I am pleased to say that I was surprised at how friendly most of my fellow cyclists were, always having a chat as I caught up with new groups and generally being a nice bunch of people. I felt a bit of a low when I had to retire from rugby due to a shoulder injury but cycling seems to give me so much and the feel good factor is there in abundance.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Had my arm twisted into doing Lap The Lough:ohmy:

Well done! From what I heard it was a bit of a wet day :rain:

OP
OP
Irishrich

Irishrich

Über Member
Well done! From what I heard it was a bit of a wet day :rain:
Thanks, torrential rain came down 45 miles into the cycle around Portballintrae so we had to endure the last 15 miles with almost no visibility and turned up at the finish line totally soaked through. Still a great day though

Top Bottom