First puncture -New tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Black knight

Suffered my first puncture last night. More annoyed that due to the timing as I'm hopefully getting a new bike next week (currently on a £10 hack)

This hack recently had a service and had 2 new Pirrelli tyres on. I noticed that the tyre has a scuff and 3 or 4 threads split/hanging out.

Being used to tubeless where threads is an instant change, my question is; Do i need to replace the tre as well as the tube?

Would do a photo but work away from home and a bit stuck with facilities and equipment. Quick release rear so managed to get the wheel/tube out, hopefully get the repair done tonight.

OP
OP
B

Black knight

Anybody??

Wise to ride with a damaged tyre?

Norm

Depends how bad the damage is, which is impossible to tell without photos (and probably difficult to tell even with them). And many will be cautious about saying "Yeah it's fine" if you then get a catastrophic blow out.

You don't say what sort of tyre (road or mud) and thus what sort of pressures are used.

How did you manage to get it scuffed enough for threads to be sticking out? If the threads are broken, I'd replace it. If it's "just" holed, you might repair the tyre but, IMO, if there's a chance that you'll repeat whatever you did to cause that damage, then I'd just replace the tyre.

Renard

You should be able to tell by looking at the inside. If its still intact when you flex it I would just go with it.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Have a good look inside and out then consider if you will be happy going fast on the tyre.

Any lingering doubt will spoil your enjoyment of the bike so if concerned at all probably best to err on the safe side and bin it.

OP
OP
B

Black knight

Ok thanks.

Just been to pick up a tube, just need to source a pump from somewhere now.

It was a 700 road tyre. Pirrelli, done less than 100miles. Inflated to 120psi.
I was commuting through an estate I don't usually pass and must have caught something, was prob doing less than 10mph. Not holed as far as I could see, just enough to damage the threads.

I'll check the tyre when I get home but I think i'll just continue using it. It does 6 miles a day only 2 or 3 times a week. No fast rides.

shippers

Depending on the damage, I've heard putting in some nail glue works well. (Finger nail glue. ask a girlie.)

Not worth shelling out for a new tyre if you're getting a new bike next week! Just get the bus for a few days or something.

OP
OP
B

Black knight

ARSE.

Two tubes, both blown. Had to get a taxi again this morning.

Maybe it's the way i'm fitting it? Should be an easy job.
Checked tyre thoroughly, checked rim thoroughly couldn't see or feel anything sharp.
Damage to the tyre isn't that bad.

I think i'll take it into the shop and ask them to repair it.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Black knight said:
ARSE.

Two tubes, both blown. Had to get a taxi again this morning.

Maybe it's the way i'm fitting it? Should be an easy job.
Checked tyre thoroughly, checked rim thoroughly couldn't see or feel anything sharp.
Damage to the tyre isn't that bad.

I think i'll take it into the shop and ask them to repair it.

Something's wrong there, where's the hole? if it's on the inside could be a rough spot somewhere, if the rim tape is just a bit wonky sometimes the very edge of a spoke hole can be exposed. It's possible the tube was pinched between the bead on fitting the tyre, check around the edge of the tyre when fitted and before inflating.

I suppose you could've just been unlucky- punctures rarely happen at nice predictable intervals. Two in a row is likely a sign that something is wrong though.

120 psi? I rarely run my road tyres that hard (even on my TT bike I prefer a bit of compliance- seems to help the bike over "heavy" road surfaces).

Top Bottom