First Recumbent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Thanks guys.

Although i am a roadie - I am a bit of a nervous cyclist -(can't do no hands after 20 years !) I wasn't really looking (at this point) to replicate the speeds \ distances i do on my ride bike on a recumbent. Just having been off the bike since june, and the injuries getting worse not better - I just wanted to get out there and do something - I hope this doesn't offend anyone - but I just wanted to ride a recumbent for the hell of it - not (within reason) worrying about speed or racing.

Today I have been looking at the spirit

http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/produkte/spirit/index_e.html

although a bit out of my price range - the position looks a lot less daunting - than some of the others

byegad

Legendary Member
Yes, and I'd guess slower. The thing is try. Where are you based?

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Thanks guys.

Although i am a roadie - I am a bit of a nervous cyclist -(can't do no hands after 20 years !) I wasn't really looking (at this point) to replicate the speeds \ distances i do on my ride bike on a recumbent.
Today I have been looking at the spirit

http://www.hpvelotec...it/index_e.html

although a bit out of my price range - the position looks a lot less daunting - than some of the others

I've always found the spirit a bit of a half and half. Not recumbent enough to take the pressure off your butt or give you an aero advantage, not upright enough to give the the easy standing stance. YMMV, of course, which is why everyone is saying "you can't do this by conjecture. You need to ride a few."

Oh, and I'd be amazed if you don't find yourself able to ride further and faster on a 'bent than a road bike. Whether you want to or not, its just the way of it.

Andy.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
My thought on the HP Velotechnik bikes is they seem quite heavy. The Skorpion I tried (a trike) was massively heavier than my comparable Trice Q.

Redfalo on this site has a Grashopper by HP Velotechnik and he might be able to give you some more ideas. He seems to ride his Brompton more these days!

CamPhil

Do book a morning with Kevin at D-Tek.
You'll come away with a much better idea of what suits you.
I know it's a long trip, but well worth it, IMHO (and I know that route quite well, as my MiL lives in Telford, so I'm not underestimating the journey).
What height are you - you're welcome to try my modded Barchetta Cafe (similar to the giro 20) if it fits you close enough to be worthwhile (once it's built), and I could arrange to be at D-TEK when you visit (although he has a Giro 20 you can try as well).
He has a good range of pre-loved machines as well as new ones, in a wide variety of different styles.

I'm buying from him at the moment, and for similar reasons - my legs are too bad to walk on, so I can't ride upright without a launcher and catcher.
On a 'bent I can support my weight on the seat while I put a foot down to prop.

Kevin is very experienced at working out modifications to work around physical limitations.
My bike is having to be built up specially for me, as I need short cranks and very low gearing as I can't get off and push if a hill is too steep. The limit will be balance speed, not gearing.
It also needs parking brake, crutch holders and propstand so I can get on and off it (once I've got the crutches in my hands I can't hold the bike up).

I've been going nuts all this year not being able to ride, as it's about the only form of exercise I can manage (so I'm going to struggle for a while getting fitness back).
I've sourced some parts myself (the SRAM DualDrive rear hub, rack, and bits for the crutch holders - this is going on a 2nd hand Barchetta Cafe so with the MTB chainset and 8s 11-32 cassette I'll have a very large range of gearing without any big jumps, although some duplication is inevitable with 72 gears! I can't see myself making much use of the big chainring and Dualdrive high ratio at the same time, unless I can get one hell of a tailwind! Might be handy if I feel like draughting trucks on the A10 :biggrin:

BTW, it's my first post here, so Hi everyone :smile: I've been kicking around online for a fair while on various other fora and Usenet.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Do book a morning with Kevin at D-Tek.
You'll come away with a much better idea of what suits you.
I know it's a long trip, but well worth it, IMHO (and I know that route quite well, as my MiL lives in Telford, so I'm not underestimating the journey).
What height are you - you're welcome to try my modded Barchetta Cafe (similar to the giro 20) if it fits you close enough to be worthwhile (once it's built), and I could arrange to be at D-TEK when you visit (although he has a Giro 20 you can try as well).
He has a good range of pre-loved machines as well as new ones, in a wide variety of different styles.

I'm buying from him at the moment, and for similar reasons - my legs are too bad to walk on, so I can't ride upright without a launcher and catcher.
On a 'bent I can support my weight on the seat while I put a foot down to prop.

Kevin is very experienced at working out modifications to work around physical limitations.
My bike is having to be built up specially for me, as I need short cranks and very low gearing as I can't get off and push if a hill is too steep. The limit will be balance speed, not gearing.
It also needs parking brake, crutch holders and propstand so I can get on and off it (once I've got the crutches in my hands I can't hold the bike up).

I've been going nuts all this year not being able to ride, as it's about the only form of exercise I can manage (so I'm going to struggle for a while getting fitness back).
I've sourced some parts myself (the SRAM DualDrive rear hub, rack, and bits for the crutch holders - this is going on a 2nd hand Barchetta Cafe so with the MTB chainset and 8s 11-32 cassette I'll have a very large range of gearing without any big jumps, although some duplication is inevitable with 72 gears! I can't see myself making much use of the big chainring and Dualdrive high ratio at the same time, unless I can get one hell of a tailwind! Might be handy if I feel like draughting trucks on the A10 :biggrin:

BTW, it's my first post here, so Hi everyone :smile: I've been kicking around online for a fair while on various other fora and Usenet.

Candidate for the "best ever" first post !
I was very moved by the lengths that you've gone to stay "a-wheel".

I don't have a 'bent and neither the cash to purchase to one nor the space to store one, but I'll be looking forward to reading how the OP gets on with his search.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
wow thanks guys - that ass mantis fits the bill @ £750 with OSS . Like I said I won't be rushing into anything - and won't be doing anything before next spring - that trip down to dtek seems almost mandatory !
I am still hopeful that the best outcome is that my back, hips knees, get better - but i must admitt , even if they do - I am smitten with the idea of trying a 'bent'

Top Bottom