First Recumbent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi All,

I am a dedicated road cyclist - but after numerous back and knee problems i am unable to ride my road bike without ending up in agony. I still hope to get back on my road bike - but this could be ages away. I am therefore considering a recumbent. I have done some research and come up with the following factors which are important to me:-

I would feel to daft on a three wheeler - so its a two wheeler for me

I want one reasonable high up

I would like over saddle steering - as I understand that USS - is more difficult to learn.

as cheap as possible - in case my injuries prevent me from riding even this bike.

The one that comes the closest is the Action Plus - but I can't find a price or a UK importer - annonyingly the Adventure plus is freely available for £899 - my only reservation is that is has under saddle steering.

The Bachettea giro 20 fits the bill - but is a bit more than I wanted to pay - can anyone help with any of the above.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Welcome kingrollo.

Before you lay out any cash, I'd be checking those assumptions are correct. The 2 wheel / 3 wheel is subjective, but an informed choice on OSS/USS steering will only come with experience. Stability, visibility, maneuverability, speed and comfort all result from the interplay of bike and rider. Whilst some bikes lend themselves to one more than another, all are highly variant based upon who is on board.

If possible, you want to ride as many variations as possible before committing. There are dealers (and riders) around who will let you have a try out. Whereabouts in the country are you?

Andy.
(Bromley, Kent)

Ps. The price point indicated suggests you might want to look at the second hand market. There are often ads in Velovision, and laidback bikes of edinburgh tends to carry a few ex demos.

squeaker

Über Member
Agree about try as many as possible. I'd suggest trying a trike first, to get you used to the recumbent position, then tackle 2 wheels - if you still want to ;)
Depending upon where you typically ride, rear suspension and mesh seat might help with the back issues (depending upon what they are) as IME it's difficult to 'un-weight' on a 'bent in the same way that you do on a DF when a big bump is coming. Easy to trash your knees if you don't spin, though.
High - why? Seeing over hedges, further from road spray in the wet, and better night-time sight lines (slightly less blinded by oncoming traffic) are the only reasons I can think of. Lower means less far to fall (!) and easier to put your foot down at a stop.
HTH

BenM

Veteran
A Second Hand Optima Orca will fill all your criteria... two wheels, High up (MTB wheels), OSS is standard (the Condor is the same machine with USS), Sadly is misses the "Cheap as possible" requirement that's just not possible for a new one ;) but a second hand one should fit your budget. Look on the BHPF for sale board - Orcas do come up once in a while and no I won't consider selling mine :smile:

Kevin at D.Tek in Little Thetford near Ely has, apparently, quite a range of recumbent bikes/trikes which you can go and try out.

B.

p.s. un-weighting the Orca for bumps isn't a problem with a hard shell seat...

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Hi guys thanks for the replies:-

1.I live in the west midlands - just outside birmingham.

2.I know that I will ride the bike more if I like how it looks - so a swb with OSS - would be my preference. Although the adventure plus at £899 - meets most of what want and is available for shipment to uk.

3.The second hand market always eludes me - my research shows that 2nd user recumbents - hold there value pretty well - prices on ebay are daft.

4. Don't worry I am not the sort to splash out £900 on a whim !- i don't expect to purchase anything before spring of next year

5.I have heard that there are trainer wheels for recumbents - is this true ? - where can I get these ?

6.Any shops where I can hire or have a try out - details would be appreciated

7. Any models that meet my criteria - or that i should look at

Thanks guys !

6.Any shops where I can hire or have a try out - details would be appreciated

If/when you can get incontact with him, Kevin at D-Tec based in Little Thetford near Ely does a very good starter morning/day where you can try out various bents.

I've seen a morning and it starts with an almost a crank forward design which is easy to balence on.
Ending up with a mid/low racer type which can be a lot more tricky.
Hopefully you will find something you click with and like.

I also know theres one in London and one in Edinburgh.

Luck ........... :biggrin:

BenM

Veteran
Don't worry about balance on the high racer style bikes. It took me only a few minutes of rolling around to sort things out regarding actually balancing; relaxing is the key which is much easier said than done :smile:

Whilst spd/look style pedals are, imho, essential on a 'bent, if only to stop your feet coming off the pedals when travelling fast over British roads, I had the bike for a couple of months/400 miles before getting SPD shoes; I had never used SPD type pedals/shoes before so I didn't want to be learning how to ride the 'bent and learning how to clip in/out at the same time.

Yup second hand 'bents hold their price however the BHPF for sale forum does have bargains. ebay is used by people who want to make money. BHPF is populated by enthusiasts some of whom have many 'bents and have shed clearouts every now and again to make room for more! the pricing tends to be more "realistic". YMMV though.

B.

Welcome to the Dark Side

The best advice is to try before you buy, each design is different and even with the same design parameters no two will handle and ride the same

Training wheels are unnecessary - all you need is a few hours in a park with a slight downhill slope

Just freewheel down, and the rest will develop

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Welcome to the Dark Side

The best advice is to try before you buy, each design is different and even with the same design parameters no two will handle and ride the same

Training wheels are unnecessary - all you need is a few hours in a park with a slight downhill slope

Just freewheel down, and the rest will develop

This is exactly how I got to grips with my Bent.

I own a Bacchetta Giro 20 and I can recommend them for being fast, comfortable, reliable and fun. I also used to own an Ice T trike which was all of these except fast uphill. You need thick skin to ride a trike, so if even the thought makes you feel "daft" I wouldnt bother.

Even riding a two wheel recumbent will attract a lot of attention some of it annoying, but at least you can escape the scene quicker if you are the sensitive type.

The general public conception of all kinds of recumbent bikes/trikes borders on imbecile level, even from conventional riding fellow cyclists. I got so fed up of moronic questions that I now just agree with them.

end of rant.......throws another empty beer bottle at the swineish multitude!

byegad

Legendary Member
Definitely entry level spec'. A good first recumbent but you're a roadie and will soon be looking at lighter and better equipped bikes. It will retain a second hand value a you would expect for an entry level machine. There's always another wanna-be looking for a new on the even cheaper.

markg0vbr

Über Member
as a roadie some thing like the Bacchetta 26x26 or corsa would be the thing for you they are easy to ride, fast and hills are not a problem, i know there are a lot around me once, you have your bent legs that is.
they have open cockpit super man style and second hand about your price range.

Top Bottom