First Ride In Eight Weeks.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I finally got home after being all over the place working for eight weeks and got the bike out yesterday which was the first properly cold day of the year around here. So off I set thinking I'd do about 50 km of my 100 km route and easily so as not to overdo it. Then I remembered a cafe at around the 60 km mark and so decided to get as far as that. When I got there I had no feeling left in my feet and was generally freezing. After plenty of coffee and a rösti (a sort of Swiss potato cake) my ears were glowing with heat and I was in the sort of state where if I'd run into Jonny Wilkinson I would have been quite happy to do any long kicks he might have been having trouble with.

So of course I burned my bridges (no more train stations after this point) and did the 100 km. This was great in terms of a sense of achievement but now my legs are seriously tired and going up and down stairs is definitely no fun. There's a moral in here somewhere but I'm damned if I know what it is ...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
In at the deep end then! I cycled in Germany this summer for the first time. What a pleasure! The cycling, the people and the countryside.

Tetedelacourse

Andy in Sig said:
I finally got home after being all over the place working for eight weeks and got the bike out yesterday which was the first properly cold day of the year around here. So off I set thinking I'd do about 50 km of my 100 km route and easily so as not to overdo it. Then I remembered a cafe at around the 60 km mark and so decided to get as far as that. When I got there I had no feeling left in my feet and was generally freezing. After plenty of coffee and a rösti (a sort of Swiss potato cake) my ears were glowing with heat and I was in the sort of state where if I'd run into Jonny Wilkinson I would have been quite happy to do any long kicks he might have been having trouble with.

So of course I burned my bridges (no more train stations after this point) and did the 100 km. This was great in terms of a sense of achievement but now my legs are seriously tired and going up and down stairs is definitely no fun. There's a moral in here somewhere but I'm damned if I know what it is ...

Moral of story, in bold for you Andy. Good effort.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Trier then east-ish to Heidelberg, Schwabisch Hall and south on the Romantische Strasse from Donauworth to Fussen. Splendid stuff. Ich komm zuruch!!

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
rich p said:
Trier then east-ish to Heidelberg, Schwabisch Hall and south on the Romantische Strasse from Donauworth to Fussen. Splendid stuff. Ich komm zuruch!!

You could try one variant on your route: Ferry to Hamburg, Hamburg to Bremen, down the Weser to Hannoversche Münden, along the Fulda to around Hettenhausen then over the Rhön hills to the Sinn valley and south to the Main, down the Main as far as Wertheim where you pick up the Romantische Strasse all the way to Füssen, then pedal off to Munich and fly back.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Good for you Andy :biggrin:. Now, if I were you, I'd do little and often building up to a bit more and often and then more of a bit more and often until you get back to where you want to be - fitness wise. You know it makes sense :rolleyes:

ash68

well done that man, must be good to know you can still do that distance after time out. You deserve a hot bath and to put your feet up for the rest of the night.:biggrin:

yenrod

Andy, good go' mate - :biggrin: great effort for a 'no cycle for 8wks...

Keep them going man as they really make you/fitness, do those rides...!

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Thanks for the encouragement chaps. I intend to keep it going and oddly now that I've got the 100 km under my belt, I'm going to have a clean conscience about doing the shorter (45 km) but quicker fitness run. My personal best which I managed 3 times in 2006 is 200 km in a day but I must confess that my ambition is to do 200 miles in a day just once in my life.

Top Bottom