First ride of the year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smoggie

...Well not quite. I mean the first ride on the real bike on a real road.
I've been Zwifting since last September - usually 30-45 minute sessions that mimick HIIT, I've upped my FTP over the winter and was feeling good. With the weather looking a bit brighter there was almost a feeling of Spring in the air, so I pumped the tyres up, oiled the chain and got ready for the first real ride of the year. The first 10-15 miles felt good, unusually good...... and then suddenly I didn't feel so good anymore and ended up limping back home with legs like jelly, an aching neck and wheezing like an asthmatic - Ended up doing 25 miles but my average MPH was done to less than 15mph. Is it the same for everyone?:sweat:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Does it matter about the speed? Just enjoy an easy ride out on a bike without having to feel it has to be a race.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
...Well not quite. I mean the first ride on the real bike on a real road.
I've been Zwifting since last September - usually 30-45 minute sessions that mimick HIIT, I've upped my FTP over the winter and was feeling good. With the weather looking a bit brighter there was almost a feeling of Spring in the air, so I pumped the tyres up, oiled the chain and got ready for the first real ride of the year. The first 10-15 miles felt good, unusually good...... and then suddenly I didn't feel so good anymore and ended up limping back home with legs like jelly, an aching neck and wheezing like an asthmatic - Ended up doing 25 miles but my average MPH was done to less than 15mph. Is it the same for everyone?:sweat:
No. I never ride inside on a trainer. I have a 40km commute most days of the year. As it starts to warm up, the layers of clothes start coming off. My riding gets easier as the year goes on. Through the winter I have virtuelle ridden Lejog and the North Coast 500. I am now onto the Great Wall of Chinatown. Riding indoors does not prepare you for the cold, wet , wind and real life hills. I tried an indoor trainer but it bored me very quickly.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I know several people in the local gym who do spinning. And anyone that's done it, will tell you how good spinning is for raising one's fitness.

During the early stages of the pandemic, several of them got real bikes to compensate for closed gyms. I met a couple of these whilst out on a ride and they proceeded to tell me how hard riding a real bike was.

Top Bottom