First ride on new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just finished the 1st ride in to work on the new bike today. What a dream!! It's light, agile and fast. Can't believe what a difference it makes. Shaved 4 mins off each 4 mile leg of my journey today. I'd read on these forums before what a difference a task specific bike would make but just thought, "Yeah, yeah". How wrong I was. Cruising at 22-23mph instead of the 15-16 I'd been struggling with on my MB. Just need to build my endurance back up now - the gears on my MB were so "low" I just wasn't pushing myself enough. Did noticed tiredness on the straights - but that could just have been overeagreness.

The big bonus for me was "passing" my friend. I travel from Outwood to Bentley (near Doncaster) as it's cheaper (no mainline stations involved). He does Outwood to Doncaster. Normally I haven't seen him till the evening on the way home. Today I'd cycled from Bentley to Doncaster before the train had got him to DOncaster and he'd had chance to get out of the station. Waved at him as he was crossing the road to get on the right side. Very satisfying!!! Looked behind me after the long straight to Lakeside. Couldn't even see him but looking forward to tonight. :biggrin:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
That's great, I bet you're very very happy!

Look at prevously riding the MTB as resistance training :tongue:

Don't worry... after a while you will get used to the new bike, and wonder why you aren't getting any faster ;)

1 minute a mile is pretty good going....

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
That'll probably be true long term but fortunately not now.....whereas before I was looking for extra gears I haven't felt the need once yet. In fact I've been pleasantly surprised to find extra gears there for me to move up to. Low gears are all very well and good for a MB - but given that the cheap ones (mine was) are invariable used on the road 80-90% of the time - not much use!

Top Bottom