First Ride Out With The Fatty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
Been curious about fat bikes since a mate got one a couple of years ago, I picked up a used Scott Big Jon last week. Its much lighter than my mates Voodoo (13.9kg on my scales) and the wheels are amazingly light considering the 4.8” tyres they’re wearing!

Anyway, had to collect the better half from Portsmouth this evening so me and my mate headed down to Hayling Island for a day with the fat bikes. What an absolute hoot! Started at the top of the Billy Trail and headed down the island. Running 10/12psi f/r I dropped the pressure a bit when we hit the deep pebble section on the west end of the beach and the bike just powered through, much to mine - and everyone elses - amazement. Scooted around the dunes and even did a section of the steam train track (...after the train had left!). Brilliant day!

If you've never ridden one, with the right tyre pressures I can only liken it to riding a Space Hopper with wheels. Its a bit of trial and error with tyre pressures - finding a cushy ride but without the front tyre self steering. The Scott is much faster than my mates Voodoo (a good few kg lighter too) and whilst it’s a good workout to get a speed up, I wouldn’t say massively more tiring to pedal than my Santa Cruz - and of course it’ll go anywhere. Any you hear it too, sounding like a tractor roaring down the road you really don’t need a bell!

PS - please excuse the girly handlebar bag, that’s the Klickfix/Kipling I made for Mrs M, just needed it to keep my phone handy today!

Even had time for a quick paddle!

Last edited:

Zipp2001

Veteran
I find myself pulling the fat bike out of the bike cave more and more, so much fun. Enjoy your adventures with your new fatty.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd love one. Already got an old rigid with 2.4's that's a bit mini-fat, and a trail bike with 2.34's, but my mate does OK on his fatty keeping up.

Keep that drive chain clean with the sand.

OP
OP
Justinitus

Justinitus

I have just pulled the trigger on a Trek Farley 9.6. The 3-4 week wait on delivery will feel like torture. :okay:

Very nice indeed, look forward to a mini review when u get it!

I'd love one. Already got an old rigid with 2.4's that's a bit mini-fat, and a trail bike with 2.34's, but my mate does OK on his fatty keeping up.

Keep that drive chain clean with the sand.

Thanks. Luckily not too much sand, but all cleaned and lubed again!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Nice - looks like good fun although I don't think I could ever justify buying one..

I bought the voodoo and the tire noise zooming along the canal tow path is better than a bell 😄.
grip is amazing and yes the self steer on a cambered fire road a pain but great fun

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Let us know how you get on with those tyres. I’m considering getting a carbon rim set for them. I may use the Barbegazi tyres on the carbon rims, and put the Gnarwhal tyres on my stock rims (when I get the bike of course).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Justinitus

Justinitus

Let us know how you get on with those tyres. I’m considering getting a carbon rim set for them. I may use the Barbegazi tyres on the carbon rims, and put the Gnarwhal tyres on my stock rims (when I get the bike of course).
Early days but 10mile ride this afternoon and boy do the tyres grip! Steep loose dirt incline (I can get about 2/3rd the way up it seated on my mtb) I was stood up mashing the pedals all the way to the top on the Farley! Initial thoughts are theres more tyre drag than the Jumbo Jims (not as much as I thought though) but they are much quieter on tarmac than the JJ’s and they corner way better. They might be too gnarly for my general use though, so likewise I’d be interested to hear your views on the Barbegazis when you get them. What bike have you ordered?

OP
OP
Justinitus

Justinitus

I've done about 60 miles now on the bike, the Gnarwhals have done light trail, gravel, pebble beach, sand and tarmac. On tarmac I ran them at R16/F15 and they were surprisingly quick and very quiet - but a bit bouncy as expected. On the light trail I ran them lower and they were still quick and comfy with so much grip - roots and mud went unnoticed. Beach saw them at about 8psi and they ploughed through the pebbles albeit wedging a few stones between the knobs. Back on the tarmac at those pressures it was heavy going and lots of self steer but still not much noise. I think maybe the Barbegazi would be a better all rounder but if you have a reliable way of adjusting pressures while out then the Gnarwhal are good tyres. Next step is to convert to tubeless!

How are you getting on with your new Farley, I’m guessing you’ve got it now?

Top Bottom