first ride with me computer...any good????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
it took me 35:31 mins to cycle 10.36 miles. average speed 17.5 mph, top speed 28.8 mph

is this any good? its bl00dy humid out there!!!

Its better than I do, I did 33.21 miles in 2h 11mins last night, my best avg of 15.2mph this year (since starting on the 23 June), my avg then was 8.53 miles in 55 mins avg 9.3mph.
So I think its good.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Generally speaking it's a decent average.

More in depth comment though is that average speed alone isn't a great measure of how good you are doing. Without knowledge of the route, it is fairly meaningless.

defy-one

I have a 3 mile loop that has no lights and little traffic. I started cycling again in May 2012.
Keep riding the same course over a few months to see your improvement. I do that loop 3 times and it's 9.6 miles. Started off taking 36 mins, I can now do it in 27 mins.
So keep a record

it took me 35:31 mins to cycle 10.36 miles. average speed 17.5 mph, top speed 28.8 mph

is this any good? its bl00dy humid out there!!!

if the ride was all down hill - it was slow. If it was all up hill - it was fast. Averages only mean something when they relate to the terrain you ride on - so unless you include some indication of ride profile, they are just meaningless numbers...

if the ride was all down hill - it was slow. If it was all up hill - it was fast. Averages only mean something when they relate to the terrain you ride on - so unless you include some indication of ride profile, they are just meaningless numbers...
Well if its a loop it cant be all downhill, but then that wasnt mentioned either.
All my times are of a loop or there and back, start and finish at home, downhill to start uphill coming home, admitted nothing great I have a 17m loop which for the most part is flat but the last 5m climbs a little from about 30ft to 180ft so nothing major, and I am getting better.
This is the ride I did yesterday
19/8/12
Half the 32 mile lap times were between 3.30min and 4min.
I couldn't do this on hills yet.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
[quote="hero of valour, post: 1992104, member: 22883"

its bl00dy humid out there!!![/quote]
Yes it was, got home after the club run and i wanted a shower after i had a shower :blush:

Hip Priest

Veteran
Knowing your average is helpful. If you manage 17mph on a route, then increase it to 18mph on the same route, you know you're improving. But as others have said, it's useless info to others, unless they know the route profile.

If you go to any cycle club website, they say things like "to join our rides, you must be able to cycle at 16mph for 40 miles, 18mph for training rides." These numbers aren't accompanied by an elevation chart.

So yes, OP, if you are a beginner, they are pretty good numbers.

If you go to any cycle club website, they say things like "to join our rides, you must be able to cycle at 16mph for 40 miles, 18mph for training rides." These numbers aren't accompanied by an elevation chart.

So yes, OP, if you are a beginner, they are pretty good numbers.

Excellent logic there, fella... :headshake:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I'd been reading these threads for a while and not realised how misleading just looking at the numbers for average speed are until recently. Id always been a little over 15mph average on my rides around the town when trying on my hybrid, then tried 10 mile circular route elsewhere and suddenly averaged 18mph which is rather unrepresentitive and just as meaningless. The town routes have lots of slowing for junctions, tight corners, people/traffic where the fast route is out and back on an old flat A road with almost nothing to reduce your momentum for the full 10 miles and no wasted energy getting back up to speed. My average speed in a hilly area would be utterly terrible :smile:

Ive heard a few people finding their cycling less fun when theyre watching the numbers too much though.

Top Bottom