First Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good evening

[Does it cost the company anything at any time?]

Yes, it's an admin hell!

The legal position is that the company buys and owns the bike and leases it to you.

You will often find references to a £1,000 limit, this is a good example of the problem, there is no such limit!

There is no limit to the value of the bike, but to lease it to an employee the employer needs a Consumer Credit License (a formality for a mega corp, but a bit of a time consuming issue for a smaller company). The Act that created Cycle To Work granted a block exemption/licence for £1,000 and under, or is it under £1,000, fine if you know this.

Then your payments under the scheme come under salary sacrifice....If you leave within the lease period....., if you stop using the bike..... you thought that you were buying the bike but you are not.....

Can you see where this is leading for the poor payroll admin bod?

Bye

Ian

OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
Well just now, went out again, done 4 miles again, but done it 30seconds faster with average speed of 13.83 mph. So pretty happy.

I'm currently using edmondo to record my rides on my phone. But is there anywhere I can log all my ride info on line so its easy to monitor?

Defo need padded shorts though and a helmet.

GentlyBenevolent

I'm currently using edmondo to record my rides on my phone. But is there anywhere I can log all my ride info on line so its easy to monitor?

In addition to my cycling log and endo, you've got:
Strava.com - it's a good motivator / competitive thing with automatic leaderboards
RideWithGPS.com - very detailed info about past rides and for future routes

Defo need padded shorts though and a helmet.
Chain Reaction have a sale on at the mo - click - I've got a couple of pairs of the funkier 7 panel basic shorts. They do the job, and fit according to the size guide on their site. While they're not too expensive it's worth getting a pair, see how the fit works for you, then look at splashing cash when you know what to look for.

Also, watch for the lidl/aldi bike gear sales. The lidl leg warmers are working wonders now the weather's turning nippy.

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Does it cost the company anything at any time?
The other downside for a company is that it has to shell out the cash up front to buy the bike for you, but only gets it back over a period of time, so if say 10 people wanted to take it up, the firm would have to front up £10k then claim that back over a year or more. For some firms that cashflow hit is a struggle.

Tommy2

Über Member
What if you leave the company within the lease period?
And does it really save much when you come to buy the bike from them at the end of the term?

Also you aren't eligible if the salary sacrifice takes your pay below minimum wage which I assume it would if you we're only pence above minimum wage (seems daft as low earners are more in need of cheaper deals).

Top Bottom