First Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidwalton

I did my first real ride today, ie. more than just getting used to riding a recumbent.

Just over 12 miles, and legs had had it :wacko: It is going to take work and time to get the legs for this.

However, I did get up to 32.69mph at one point which is the fastest I have been to date. I did not feel happy going faster as I am still getting used to bike while laying down. Very different to keeping a DF bike stable.

Hills are for walking though at present, especially the one I went up to day at 15% average for about half a mile. To me that was like looking up a mountain. Mind you, any incline looks like a hill at the moment :smile:

At least the local weather forecast is looking good for the next 5 days'ish, so plenty of nice sun to keep me smiling while working the new leg muscles.

BTW- I also came across my first set of twats in a car who decided they would spray their drink over me when passing. I understand that this is to be expected in and around Essex.

Arch

Married to Night Train
You'll be sorted in no time. I set off for 300 miles through France last summer (at about 50 miles per day), with shamefully little in the way of adjustment training on the trike.

The beauty of the trike of course, is you can go up hills as s l o w l y as you like - and believe me, I do!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Keep at it and you will soon be flying up those hills you once thought were mountains, passing the people that just go out in the summer.
32,69 is not too bad.
I havent had any kids sprey anything out the window at me, its just normaly shouting or horn beeping. Which, bad enough, i have got used to.

OP
OP
D

davidwalton

I do have gearing down to 23", so spinning shouldn't be a problem once fit enough. Just no other way like on DF bikes where you can stand on the pedals.

I live in Essex, and as such I have been warned to expect twats.

Bigtallfatbloke

I live in Essex, and as such I have been warned to expect twats

Essex is the home of the chavvy oik kids and white van man...scum of the earth all of them...I have no time for these pricks ...I have to deal with them daily.

Whereabouts in South essex are you riding?

OP
OP
D

davidwalton

Bigtallfatbloke said:
Essex is the home of the chavvy oik kids and white van man...scum of the earth all of them...I have no time for these pricks ...I have to deal with them daily.

Whereabouts in South essex are you riding?

Riding around Wickford, Rayliegh, Benfleet, and Canvey Island (tomorrow) areas so far.

OP
OP
D

davidwalton

Well, went to Canvey Island and back today; around 18.57 miles. Made the mistake of using the A130 coming off the Island = another Raceway, so walked up to A13 roundabout on the last bit that goes uphill. Was either that, or spin up at less than 6mph which I didn't think was safe on that road.

Purpose of going there was to visit Les's Cycles. Wanted to find out about servicing costs etc. Cost is OK, but seems they are so busy that they need to keep the cycle for a few DAYS. Not very convenient as this is my only form of transport.

Need to find a Cycle shop that can be trusted 100% to carry out servicing and maintenance, as required on my StreetMachine. Nearest LBS is in Wickford, but they only seem interested in selling their bikes. Their first reaction to me was one of little understanding that bents have the same components as DF bikes and quickly suggested I go to Canvey Island.

Any suggestions?

Will need an initial service in 100 miles time, and that could come within the next week or so at current ride rate.

No, I can't do it myself...........yet.

Bigtallfatbloke

Purpose of going there was to visit Les's Cycles. Wanted to find out about servicing costs etc. Cost is OK, but seems they are so busy that they need to keep the cycle for a few DAYS. Not very convenient as this is my only form of transport.

I bought my galaxy from Les, he's alright, nice fella.
Yes he is busy there...you might try calling in advance and arranging a good day/time etc.

FWIW my experiences of LBS around this neck of the woods are:

Les. Good shop, nice bloke, busy but fair...sure he is going to try to sell you stuff, thats his job but I have only ever had good experiences there. However like most LBss you can usually find the same items on the net cheaper...but then again you need to know what you are doing. he has some nice Scott roadbikes in there.

That shop in Wickford at the lights...like you say it's just a bike sales outlet.

Discount cycles shenfield...to be honest I dont like them...again the only thing they are interested in is selling you a new bike it seems...and the 'discounts' are expensive compared to the net .

Bike trax Brentwood...they have the gear but never seem to have what I need...this is th eshop where the bloke sales bloke asked me what I meant by 'Pannier'???!!wtf??! Seems to be staffed by a couple of kids who have their mates in all the time.

Basildon market LBS...totally MTB orientated and kids bikes...friendly but no use to me.

Unfortunatly my experience of Essex LBS is that for the most part they are simply interested in how much cash you have.

I like you need a LBs to service the bike ...but I am rapidly learning how to do it myself...which is the ultimate aim.

Bigtallfatbloke

Hills are for walking though at present, especially the one I went up to day at 15% average for about half a mile. To me that was like looking up a mountain. Mind you, any incline looks like a hill at the moment

Crays hill is ok...I did that with four panniers on ...erm just:biggrin:

10 months ago however I couldnt even have walked up them:blush:

OP
OP
D

davidwalton

Bigtallfatbloke said:
Crays hill is ok...I did that with four panniers on ...erm just:biggrin:

10 months ago however I couldnt even have walked up them:blush:

It was Church Road (I think) in Thundersley/Benfleet, a smaller road leading towards the Rayliegh A127 Roundabout.

To day, I am going to see if I can get up Crown Hill in Rayliegh.

Top Bottom