First road bike - 6ft female

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi!

I've been riding a hybrid for 4 years and think it's time to explore the world of road cycling. Looking to do a couple of long distance charity rides and will be training for those in the upcoming months. Ideally want to comfortably ride for 100km+ a day.

Not entirely sure what size I need for my height. I suspect that my current bike is too small for me (Bobbin Blackbird - 47cm 700c) ... Women's bikes tend to be on the small side based on previous experience.

Any help with sizing, brands and desired specs would be extremely appreciated.

Budget is in £300 - 600 (dependent on projected longevity - please factor in above the mean levels of clumsiness)

Hello Ellie

for that budget and depending where you are, I would head to a decathlon. they have a good range of bikes, not especially woman specific but well spec'd for the cash.

good luck

vickster

Legendary Member
Agreed that women’s bikes are probably going to be too small especially if you have a long torso and not just long legs. I’m about 5’9.5 but long of leg and I ride 54cm top tube ‘men's’ frames so I’d assume a 56cm would be ballpark for you

Paul’s cycles sometimes have good deals on less usual frame sizes of wsd bikes so might be worth a look (and also men’s bikes)

Eg in 56cm (check the geometry)
https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s134p9320/CUBE-AXIAL-WS-2018

Hi!

I've been riding a hybrid for 4 years and think it's time to explore the world of road cycling. Looking to do a couple of long distance charity rides and will be training for those in the upcoming months. Ideally want to comfortably ride for 100km+ a day.

Not entirely sure what size I need for my height. I suspect that my current bike is too small for me (Bobbin Blackbird - 47cm 700c) ... Women's bikes tend to be on the small side based on previous experience.

Any help with sizing, brands and desired specs would be extremely appreciated.

Budget is in £300 - 600 (dependent on projected longevity - please factor in above the mean levels of clumsiness)

This is a lot of bike for the money 56cm
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/cube-axial-ws-pro-disc-road-bike-2018/rp-prod165635

Figure out if your proportions require a shorter bike or a longer one than average male stock bikes.
Different brands and models come in different shapes/proportions, specifically the length of top tube for the height of the seat tube. Consult the geometry chart of the manufacturer or take a tape measure to the shop..
You can fix many fit issues with swapping seatposts (to a different horizontal lay-back) and handlebar stems (longer or shorter).
Long distance road bikes usually have lower ratio gears than racebikes and often a more relaxed riding stance. Useful features include more generous tyre clearance, mudguard eyelets for bolt-on 'guards. Eyelets for a rear luggage rack expand usage into light touring and commuting. Modern road-bikes often have disk brakes which are excellent in the wet.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I am 6ft with most of my height in my legs.

I hada 58cm frame but found the reach just a little too far. I now have a 56cm road frame with tall head tube and find the fit nigh on perfect. So I would start with these sized frames and see what you think. For the width of drop bars you want something approx shoulder width. Cranks you want 172.5mm or 175mm at least that is what works for me. Make sure you have a test ride.

12boy

Guru
Many bikes geometry numbers include a standover height. Rivendel bikes site (rivbike) will give you a more lengthy discussion on this, but the short version to determine this is :stand against a wall in your bare feet and straddle a book held sideways out from the wall, thereby providing a right angle. Have the book go as high as possible, and have a friend mark the wall at the top of the book. This will give you the length of your legs, or your PBH (pubic bone height). When selecting a bike you should be able to pick up the bike an inch and a half while straddling the top tube in the middle of the tube between the saddle and handle bars, wearing whatever shoes you intend to ride in. Because height alone doesn't give the relative proportions of arm and leg length vs. Torso, it is very useful to know what these are for you. As far as a bike goes, if you or your friends have any experience working on bikes, a nice used bike may get you a lot more for your money. In any case, if you have an experienced cyclist friend to accompany you when buying new or used, they can help assess the quality of the frame and components. Go for a test ride before buying, hopefully several rides on several bikes. A lower end bike that fits is so much better than a high quality bike that doesn't. Good luck!

1 1/2" of clearance is for old fashioned bikes with a horizontal top tube. Modern bikes may be designed with more intended clearance, esp the ones with sloping top tubes.

vickster

Legendary Member
1 1/2" of clearance is for old fashioned bikes with a horizontal top tube. Modern bikes may be designed with more intended clearance, esp the ones with sloping top tubes.
As a woman, I’ve never considered top tube clearance when buying bike? I rarely stand astride a bike

sheddy

Legendary Member
Choose a mens bike that you fancy, select the frame size to suit your pins.

Then tweak your reach with stem choice and saddle rail adjustments ?

Can you borrow a tall blokes bike for a day ?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Choose a mens bike that you fancy.

And potentially bar width (I have to put narrower ones on as 54cm bikes tend to come with a 42 or even 44cm, too wide for me and I’m not a slight build)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Good point about bar width. My first road bike came with 44cm bars and it felt absolutely massive. It felt so much more comfortable after swapping to ones that were 40cm.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Choose a mens bike that you fancy, select the frame size to suit your pins.

Can you borrow a tall blokes bike for a day ?

I had to fit a shorter stem to one of my bikes & it affected the handling more than I expected, made the bike a little more twitchy, so I'd recommend trying any adjustments befofre buying the bike to make sure it feels right :okay:

12boy

Guru
As a woman, I’ve never considered top tube clearance when buying bike? I rarely stand astride a bike
The top tube thing becomes important when you have to stand with both feet down especially due to a mishap. Crashing down on the top tube can really hurt. Even with sloping top tubes it can be a good idea to check in the middle because if you do fall down you may land there. Of course , if you ride mixte style bikes the really isn't a top tube per se.

OP
OP
ellie.the.wild.child
Wow, thank you all for the extremely useful insight. I will collate all the comments before I go to a store this week.

Measured my inside leg - it's 35.5 inch (90cm)... I think that places me in the 58 range? Or would 56 fit?

I agree that it would be best to try out several bikes but I am super impatient and itching to ride (sister just moved to London and is using my hybrid for her commute).

Second hand bike is also an option but would need an experienced eye to assess the condition of the bike. If anyone London based is keen to help, coffee is on me :smile:)

Cube Axial looks great but unsure if it goes up to 58. Largest I've seen is 56.

Top Bottom