First road bike advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobNewcastle

Hi just looking for some bike advice if anyone can help me. I'm a runner first and foremost but my running has changed over the past few years and I now tend to do more fell racing than road racing. I use a spin bike in the gym for hill sessions as I've found there's a good degree of cross over fitness to the fells (climbing motion) but not necessarily flat roads running. Also find cycling knits training together and helps avoid injury.

So I'm looking for a decent entry level road bike which does the job to be used during the spring and summer mostly as part of training. I don't think I'd cycle all the time as I still obviously really enjoy my running so I wouldn't need something high end. As someone who watches a lot of cycling and has done for years I thought it was about time I got a bike too!

Any advice on particular bikes to go for, price range etc? Is there also a good time to get good deals too (Jan)? I guess I'd go up to around a £1000?

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
There seem to be lots of people on here who get the B'Twin / Decathlon TRIBAN 500 series (for less than the £1000) and are very happy with what they have bought. Even the £330 TRIBAN 3 gets good reviews here.

Not much help I know but actually posted to flag up you need to set some cash aside for tools, kit, clothes etc.

Happy hunting.

Shaun

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
'up to around a £1000' the world is nearly your oyster, you will struggle to buy a bad bike at the price point- all the major brands have something that would suit.
Do you have any more requirements? such as wanting to maybe do some light trail stuff/ long distance rides/ touring/ racing. As these are all going to affect your choice.

Do you have a preference on material or type of bike. For instance would a cross bike suit you to do a few trails as well as road, something like the Genesis Croix De Fer, or do want a purer road beast made of carbon, like a Planet x?

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Planet X have just been selling the RT58 road bike for £500 with full Sram Rival gearing & Campagnolo wheels (all excellent quality kit).

It is an aluminium frame with carbon forks & at least 2 CC members have dropped a monkey on it already.

Without doubt one of the best value bikes I have ever seen.

Buget around £200 > £250 for good quality helmet, bib shorts/tights (if you want them), jersey, lights, multi tool, pump, saddle pack (optional) spare tubes etc.

You start with a bike end up with a garage full.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
December to January/February is a good time to buy "last year's" model. The retailers tend to discount them heavily (25-30%) to clear out old stock.

vickster

Legendary Member
As @SteCenturion http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58ALRIV22/planet-x-rt-58-alloy-sram-rival-22-road-bike

It was £500 a couple of weeks ago, might be again soon, who knows. sign up for their newsletter

Otherwise, if you fancy carbon and the right size and colour...
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/YBCL761168/planet-x-pro-carbon-shimano-ultegra-road-bike-medium-blue
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/YBCL85...n-campagnolo-athena-11-road-bike-medium-black
Full range here if you scroll down, various kit and prices

http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/road-bikes/pro-carbon

However, the best thing, is decide what you want spec wise, go to a few local shops, swing your leg over some bikes and if possible get on road test rides

Evans are pretty good for tests

If you are happy to buy online and don't need the latest model, look at Paulscycles and Ash cycles for starters. Plus you've got Start, Westbrook, Edinburgh bike up in the NE'ish. Plus a Cube shop in Durham

With a grand budget, the world is your lobster (more or less)

If you want a bike for spring/summer, there seems little point waiting until January to save £100 - there are always deals

Top Bottom