First road bike: mech disc brakes vs v-brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris-suffolk

That’s the only reason? For me the fact that discs stay out of muddy puddles and offer consistent braking in diverse conditions is a big factor. Plus hydraulic discs are almost universally praised for their modulation, although this can depend on factors like pad material and being well bled. I don’t remember ever thinking I needed less braking.

+1 ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

si_c

Guru
6000 commuting miles a year in all weathers on disc brakes tell me that aint so.
My BB7's need adjusting just as much as normal rim brakes and the disc pads last a year easy compared to a few months with rim pads.
I was going to say largely the same thing. I get through brake pads faster than you - probably six months out of a set on the front but certainly no faster than rim brake pads - it entirely depends on road conditions and the pad compounds.

As for disc brakes being harder to control :wacko::laugh:

si_c

Guru
I have found that semi metallic pads seem to offer all round best performance and longevity. Oh yes, very little squeal, if any, in wet weather too.
Used them quite a bit, trying some ceramic ones at the moment, deathly quiet although not ridden in the wet yet and very good stopping power.

Top Bottom