First road bike - sizing and recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
Like Beanz I'm looking for my first serious (in terms of the amount of money) roadbike and also thought about the Allez. I'm 5'11" but I've got a long body.
I'm thinking about a 56cm frame and a triple.

I can also afford a bit more than the 2007 models are going for, or will go for under discount. Is there any point at my level paying more for a better spec. bike? The bike will be used for weekend jaunts of 25-30 miles plus twice a month commutes from work to home of 45-50 miles.

monnet

Guru
Chris, obviously it's all personal, but I tried a Trek before I got my Specialized. Basically it was a great bike but I was a bit stretched over the top tube (I've got a short body) so it might be worth having a sit on a Trek before splashing the cash.

ChrisKH

Guru
Thanks Monnet; I do have a cheap road bike at the mo and I'm finding myself stretched over the top tube which is a standard frame. Will measure tonight. I probably need to be a little more upright than I used to when I was younger so the Allez will probably be better, but I'll try the Trek as well.

ChrisKH said:
Like Beanz I'm looking for my first serious (in terms of the amount of money) roadbike and also thought about the Allez. I'm 5'11" but I've got a long body.
I'm thinking about a 56cm frame and a triple.

Chris

Im 5 11 with short legs at 31cm, the 56cm Allez is a perfect fit for me.
Its also a fairly high stem geometry , so pretty good for those coming from a MTB, but you can take a few spacers out as you become accustomed to the shape.
I would be fairly confident in recomending this bike, but with others its best to try first , for instance a 56cm Spech Tricross was way too big for me and a 54cm perfect. Giant I believe give bike sizes in actual seat tube lengh not the equivelent to non compact measurements used by specialized. In my experience fit is more influenced by top tube length. Regarding gearing, I can do 50miles and never get out of the 53 front ring, Im middleaged and overweight but do live in Suffolk which is mostly flat. :biggrin:

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Good luck with the bike hunt Chris - let's face it, trying bikes is fun!

Star - I'm middle aged, not overweight (was going that way fast - lost it a few years back now), but live in hilly Derbyshire, so the triple is looking favourite!

:thumbsup:

Jack

I was in this position last year. I tried the £500ish Allez and the Trek 1000 and Pilot 1.0. Settled on the Pilot because of its slightly more upright position, and went for the triple. Personally, I found myself wishing I had gone for the 1000. The Pilot is too upright for me - I don't need it to be, I'm young.. Now I just want more speed! ;-)

ChrisKH

Guru
I just wanted to bump this thread as I'm looking to purchase a new bike in the next seven days. Does anyone know which shop/supplier is giving the best price on an Allez 2007 at the moment? Saves me searching. Thanks.

Top Bottom