First Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dmc

Hi there
I've decided to buy my first road bike as i've had to give up the running due to knee injury.
I'm set on getting the Giant SCR 2 2008 for £545, however the guy in the shop told me that the 2009 will be available at the end of August. He did say that it may be 10% more expensive though.
As i am buying through the cycle to work scheme i probably wouldn't be able to collect the bike until the end of August anyway, however i wait for the new model i may pay more for a similar bike and i'd have to wait another month to six weeks for delivery once the papers have gone through.
Not sure what i should do, advice please....

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
At the end of August the 2008 model may well be cheaper.

You could ask the dealer what changes he (realistically) expects to see on the 2009 model for the (probable) price increase.

You can then assess if you will notice the changes on what will be your first road bike.

Then wait 3 weeks and get a 2008 at a discount.

OP
OP
D

Dmc

Yeah that's my though exactly, but it'll probably go out of stock before i get a chance to get my cycle to work papers sorted.
My options are
1. Order the SCR 2 2008 now for £545 and receive it in a month to 2 weeks.
2. Wait until the end of August for the SCR 2 2009 to be released at a risk of it being more expensive and practically the same bike, maybe at a higher cost.
I'm worried that if i chose choice 1 then by the time i received my bike, having paid full price, it would be out date.

roadiewill

Just buy the 08 model... the 09 model will only be new for a few months before they start bringing out the 2010 model. All that will be different is the paintjob really..

OP
OP
D

Dmc

Thanks for the response, the guy at the LBS thinks the 2009 will have 2009 tiagras and a new paint job but will be 10% more expensive.

Nick1979

According to the article posted by John, the OCR range will be completely replaced, and there will be extensive changes in the TCR range but no mention of the SCR. So I suppose it will just be the usual minor changes for them!
Go and get the 2008, the sooner you have it the more summer (-ish) days you can enjoy with it, and try to get a discount!! (sometimes hard with the cycle to work scheme)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Nick, as I recall the OCR that the article talks about is what our USAian friends know the SCR as. If that is true, then the "Defy" range will replace the SCR here, which potentially is a significant change.

Nick1979

Sorry, got confused! So the OCR is not available in Europe? right...
In this case why has Dmc's LBS said it would be just "new Tiagra and new paint job"? Or maybe the "Defy" range won't be imported in Europe for 2009?
In any case, Dmc, maybe it's worth investigating, if the "Defy" range is as much an improvement as it is claimed in the article it's maybe worth the wait....

Top Bottom