First road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
hello guys

About to purchase my first road bike and looking at recommendations from you guys

I've had a ponder with hybrid bikes before but time to try something new

I'm looking at a carerra virtuoso just something cheap to see if I enjoy having a road bike and if not then no big deal

Are there any other bikes around the 350 mark that would also be a good choice

Thanks for reading

I'd buy 2nd hand for that price.

tfg71

I was in the same situation, I managed to get a bike on gumtree cheap. I had looked in decathlon sport at the btwin triban range. 500 and 500se on has carbon forks price 280 and 330 . Might be worth a look

OP
OP
jakechambers100

jakechambers100

Regular
That's what I was thinking but there is nothing for sale local at the moment I will check a day or 2 before pay day and see if anything changes the carerra comes in at 11kg so not light but not extreme

Has the Claris gears and micro shifters and a ton of good reviews for a good first bike it's only to tie me over a month or two and if I take to it il be looking at getting something around the 800 mark so a lot more choice

I had a look at the Triban Btwin bikes which seem good for the money but they are online only and I really need to try it out to make sure it fits as I'm a funny size

Garry A

Calibrating.....
Got my first road bike a couple of weeks back. I looked at the tribans, even though they were in my price range I didn't like the idea of buying a bike that had been on display with everyone trying it out. Ended up emptying the piggy bank and searching down the back of the couch for more funds and got a Giant Defy 3. Excellent bike can recommend it, not too head down arse up but a more relaxed feel. £650 though :-/

If I couldn't get the cash then triban 500 se or triban 520.

OP
OP
jakechambers100

jakechambers100

Regular
Hmm don't think I'm willing to go to 650 on the off chance I decide I don't like road bikes
Carerra can't be that bad for a first bike can it 8 weeks and I could be upgrading

Just found out my place might actually do the cycle2work scheme il enquire tomorrow

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Buy second hand, keep an eye on gumtree, and any local facebook for sale pages. I saw a basically brand new Giant (purchased months ago for £800), for £350 locally. Lots of people buy a road bike, use it twice, and sell it for just under half what they paid. That's what I'd recommend. Better than cycle to work, which doesn't really save you much, and you don't really own the bike for five years!

Karlt

That's what I was thinking but there is nothing for sale local at the moment I will check a day or 2 before pay day and see if anything changes the carerra comes in at 11kg so not light but not extreme

Has the Claris gears and micro shifters and a ton of good reviews for a good first bike it's only to tie me over a month or two and if I take to it il be looking at getting something around the 800 mark so a lot more choice

I had a look at the Triban Btwin bikes which seem good for the money but they are online only and I really need to try it out to make sure it fits as I'm a funny size

Decathlon do have stores. I think your nearest is Edinburgh - http://www.decathlon.co.uk/en/store?store_id=PS_UK_715&rememberMe=off; their idea of Northern England does unfortunately appear to end at the M62.

The Mighty News

I got my first road bike last week, thankfully I got it second hand but it is a Specialized Allez and its (im told) an excellent starter bike, circa £550 new but second hand I picked it up for £200.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I picked up the carerra virtuoso today I'm happy with it as a first bike seems fine for me at the minute

Tyres are awful they need changed asap

Yeah the Allez is a great bike
Nowt wrong with the virtuoso , i had one for ages as a commuter / winter bike and only just sidegraded to a Vanquish that i built up from a frame i got off a member of CC.

OP
OP
jakechambers100

jakechambers100

Regular
It's a nice looking bike only problem is how flighty these road bikes are so will need to get used to it also I can't seem to look behind me on a road bike before moving over ect

Something that comes in time I hope

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
It's a nice looking bike only problem is how flighty these road bikes are so will need to get used to it also I can't seem to look behind me on a road bike before moving over ect

Something that comes in time I hope
Well done. Ibwish I had found this thread earlier, my advice would be to buy the Carrera. Not that its an especially "better" bike than a few other but that you liked it, were drawn to it and frankly at the entry level the bikes are all much of a muchness...and all pretty good reallly.

Twitchy or flighty sensations will pass and soon you will be enjoying the gentle hum of the tyres (perhaps new ones ) as you purr along.

Life savers get easier and you should try to chuck them frequently so as to get used to it but I can tell you that after a few years of riding a roadie...some fair old distances, I still cant look directly behind me and have to stop pedalling and twist around if I loose my ride buddies. But looking for traffic over my shoulder is second nature now. Being bent over makes it different from an upright style. Try looking back and down as opposed back and up and just raise your eyes to see traffic.

Top Bottom