First Set of Clipless Pedals and Shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I find that Shimano shoes have rather a narrow fit, so make sure you try a pair on before buying. Personally I wear Specialized Sonoma as they are smart enough and comfortable enough to wear all day at work. As for peddles I would suggest get some asymmetric ones (clipless on one side, platform on the other) something like Wellgo SPD 95B, at £21.99 they have got to be worth it.

OP
OP
J

Jack

I did get some clipless on one side, platform on the other, from Wiggle, the Shimano ones I linked to before. I looked for anything better for the shoes than the Specialized ones, but its hard to find ones sold in UK size 13 - 14. I ended up getting those Specialized Sport shoes in UK size 13.5.. Hopefully the pedal/shoe combo will work. I should think at some point when I can afford to get another bike for the local running around, I'll upgrade the pedals.. and the Specialized shoes seem to take pretty much any cleats, so I should be fine with them for a good period of time.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Emu

I got the M324s this morning from Wiggle and Cannondale Roam shoes from Chain Reactions. I've yet to try them out but I'm sure I'll let you know when I've had my first fall!

OP
OP
J

Jack

Emu said:
I got the M324s this morning from Wiggle and Cannondale Roam shoes from Chain Reactions. I've yet to try them out but I'm sure I'll let you know when I've had my first fall!

:thumbsup:

It would be great to hear your thoughts on them once you've had a go!

Emu

Had my first 13 mile commute using them today. I bought the M324s because my husband sometimes borrows my rockhopper and also I can't imagine playing football in the park with a pair of shoes with cleats so they had to be dual functioning. Anyway, I did my trial cycling on Saturday at 7am and took it really easy. I also took it quite easy today. I'm not having too much trouble getting in and out but I really have to think about releasing my feet. For some reason despite being right footed I finding it harder with that foot. It's quite nice to have a platform because it's a sort of safety net when putting your foot back on the pedal. On the other hand it's a hindrance because sometimes the pedal gets knocked upside down so you have to turn it. It's already making me think that maybe I might put SPDs on my Brompton too.
The Cannondale Roams are a bit clunky and heavy for walking round the office but they look good with jeans.

Emu

Had my first accident about half an hour after writing my last post! And it was my right foot that let me down when I had to do an emergency stop to prevent a loon driving into me.

Top Bottom