First sportive.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Donovan

I've got my first sportive tomorrow, Spadgers memorial ride near Garforth/Tadcaster in Yorkshire.

Shame I've got a cold and the weathers crap, but I'm looking forward to it. There's half a dozen of us in the group going around so should be good fun.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Enjoy, Sportives are great fun.

oiljam

Active...ish Member
Hey. I was there too. Terrible weather, cold,windy and wet. There seemed to be alot suffering punctures, I think that might have been down to the wet country lanes. My gatorskins performed really well and didn't let me down.
What I did notice were how many bikes didn't have mudguards. I did but I were still getting splattered from everyone else. Lots of really nice bikes out aswell, I were super impressed with my Triban 5, it didn't miss a beat.

On a plus point, Bradley Wiggins dropped in...in his helicopter to support the charity ride. I'm really disappointed I missed him. Arwell

Great ride, I'll definitely be there again next year

CJMac

Hey. I was there too. Terrible weather, cold,windy and wet. There seemed to be alot suffering punctures, I think that might have been down to the wet country lanes. My gatorskins performed really well and didn't let me down.
What I did notice were how many bikes didn't have mudguards. I did but I were still getting splattered from everyone else. Lots of really nice bikes out aswell, I were super impressed with my Triban 5, it didn't miss a beat.

On a plus point, Bradley Wiggins dropped in...in his helicopter to support the charity ride. I'm really disappointed I missed him. Arwell

Great ride, I'll definitely be there again next year

I did this on Sunday too ... such a shame about the weather!

I wasn't aware Wiggo had dropped in though! What time did he drop by?!

oiljam

Active...ish Member
He was just leaving as I got back and I got round in 2:41 so probably before 13:30. I just saw the helicopter take off but I were still unaware it was him till I got home and it had been on the news apparently. Such a shame, I'd have loved to see him, especially as I thought the end was a bit of an anti-climax. That was partly to do with the weather though and dashing to get in a dry car

CJMac

I finished at about 13:45 and there were no signs of him or any hubbub or anyone saying anything about him: just a few finishers drinking coffee and eating cake! So I'm not sure when he was there or where he was. Was he apparently just in the area where everyone was waiting around before / after the ride where sign in and the other tents were?

I also thought the finish was a bit of an anti-climax. I was hoping for at least a certificate or something but it didn't even seem like there was anyone congratulating finishers!

CJMac

I'll have a read of that, thanks.

Someone mentioned to me a few weeks ago that he was going to be there but that was all I'd heard of it. I understand that the organisers may have wanted to keep it quiet and under wraps in case he didn't show but one would have thought it would be mentioned some way round on the course or once we'd all finished!

Top Bottom