First Sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Done it last year, good sportive, a very flat first 2 hours, then you hit a cracker of a big hill that goes on for and 5 and a half miles, the route after that is a little bit lumy but not to hard?

are you staying in inverness for it?

the views of the Loch are amazing and getting to cycle down that death road traffic free is a major plus point of this ride

OP
OP
stoneyloon

stoneyloon

Regular
17 miles on Sunday, Strava is a handy tool....

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I did my first 100 mile sportive 50 days after getting my road bike, I had barely ridden my mtb up to that point. So pretty much was starting from scratch. I went out 2-3 times a week (this was between august and October so better weather and light evenings) upping my mileage steadily until my last training run of 70 miles.
I would just say take it easy as I probably rushed it and it used to hurt a lot between rides - stiff legs, back, neck and shoulders! But gradually as you get fitter and better at it, those things subside.
Funnily enough for me it takes at least probably 7-8 miles before I start to feel comfortable and the numb bum goes away.
Since the 100 miles in early October I've done bugger all riding except for a few turbo runs, so hoping to pick it up again in the spring - fair weather biker!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
You will do it ok provided you get some miles in between now and then. I would aim to do at least one 50 mile ride in preperation and get plenty of hill practice in.

Its not a race so take your time and enjoy the day. Usual newby mistake is to set off too fast then struggle at the end. Stop at every feed station and eat as much as possible. Drink plenty even if its cold and you feel like you dont need it.

There are masses of opinions on saddles and butt cream .I find vaseline as good as anything with sudocrem applied after the ride if any soreness.

huwsparky

Über Member
@Banjo has some good advice. The best advice think I could give from my limited time riding would be to not set off to fast. I find by riding 'clever' you can go further and it hurts a lot less.

Top Bottom