First ss build. Bottom bracket problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

B_A_Brackers

Regular
Hi

I've just built my first single speed build using an lif frame and a lot of parts from friends etc. never built a bike before or even really repaired one that much. I know I suck at it. But just having issues with the bottom bracket. It's massively creaking on the nds when I pedal along flats. It's not to bad when I'm going up hill working hard. Just wondering if anyone could help me stop it. It's a shimano fixed cartridge square tapered. It's a budget build really. Parts from mates and spare wheels of my own means it's only cost about £100 to re spray and build from scratch. Doesn't look great though

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 71

jim55

Guru
Oh jeez,,,, flip that stem an level those bars ,(free) change/paint crank ( tin of Matt black ) other than that it's fine looking and while cranks off fit new bb, less than a tenner and it'll b spot on

That crank hurt my eyes so much I had to wear a welding helmet. It looks like a square taper crank and BB so those are usually pretty non-creaky. Remove the BB, clean the threads on both bike and BB properly and reinstall with a coating of copper compound. Then, make sure the crank is torqued to 40NM. If it still creaks, it has got to be the rest of the bike complaining about the crank's colour.

OP
OP
B_A_Brackers

B_A_Brackers

Regular
As stated above it is square taper cartridge crank. I'll try the copper compound. Yellow is crank that I have. As I said. Budget bike

Top Bottom