First swim since lockdown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've really missed my weekly swim since lockdown but can't see myself returning until a successful COVID 19 vaccine is developed and rolled out. Prior to lockdown, despite the best efforts of the pool staff, a sizeable minority of the customers leave the changing rooms and surroundings in a disgusting state. Whilst I would have confidence in the actual pool water being COVID infection free I wouldn't want to risk using the rest of the area.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Only 1 of my local pools have been drained, that would have been the perfect time for a clean, replace a few tiles etc.

The sea is probably cleaner

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Other than a couple of recent sea dips recently (Mundesley and West Wittering) I hadn't had a decent swim since holidaying in Sicily last October.

It was a real shock to the system getting back in the pool this week. After a dozen lengths I was on the point of getting out as I couldn't get my breathing right, but I persevered and managed 30. The plan is to up this number each session until I'm up to a mile.

I'm very conscious that no amount of cycling is going to do much for upper body strength, so I need to take a more serious approach to my swimming.

Stephenite

Membå
Swam 300m in a local lake on Sunday. Water temp was an absolutely fine 20 degrees. I am so out of shape though I had to turn onto my back three times. I was with the gf and kids so couldn't get away to do any more than that.

I think the imagery from the eye level right down there at the waterline is beautiful. I've been wanting to capture the scene on film for a while so I bought an action cam Sunday evening (with the help of a nice Cote du Rhone and a 'lightning deal'). It arrived this evening!

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Sorry, yes. And a third, for that matter. Still a slog. :sad: But I'm sure it will get better. :smile:
It can only get easier can't it? :unsure:

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
My local pool (5 minutes walk from home) has been shut since lockdown and it was shut for 7 months for repairs (costing £450,000:ohmy:) about a year before lockdown. Needless to say
given up on trying to do some swimming.:thumbsdown: I
Hang in there Accy, hopefully they’ll dig up the money to get it fixed, but that’s a lot of cash!

The apartment complex we live in just opened our pool for the first time since 2019. Can’t wait to check it out this afternoon after work. Love going for a ride after work and then jumping in the pool to chill and relax. Wish I was in proximity to an ocean to take a dip in, but having a small pool at our disposal is still really nice. Especially after two years with no swimming! Just had to sign a waiver saying if we get Covid we won’t go crying to management. Not sure if they are limiting how many can be in the pool at one time. Guess we’ll find out. Pretty much everything in my county is fully open now as we have reached over 70% vaccinated, apparently a landmark number of some sort.
Lookin’ forward to our first dip if it doesn’t storm today. :sun:

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Holy thread resurrection Batman!

In case anyone's interested, our pool's been open for months, with an actually pretty damn efficient and easy booking system, so I'm back to a daily km. Back to more-or-less effortless too. Makes such a difference to my life. :smile::okay:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Hang in there Accy, hopefully they’ll dig up the money to get it fixed, but that’s a lot of cash!
The local council decided the other month to close the 54 year old pool down,due to another fault in the old rusting pipes.

https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire-news/baths-axe-sparks-row-over-19869743

I don't think they'll be forking out more money after that now wasted £450,000. They've decided to build a new leisure centre 1.5 miles,with a longer (25 meters instead of the 22 meters one we had) but narrower pool.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
The local council decided the other month to close the 54 year old pool down,due to another fault in the old rusting pipes.

https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire-news/baths-axe-sparks-row-over-19869743

I don't think they'll be forking out more money after that now wasted £450,000. They've decided to build a new leisure centre 1.5 miles,with a longer (25 meters instead of the 22 meters one we had) but narrower pool.
Sorry to hear you are losing your leisure centre swim lanes. Hopefully the new facility will not take more than a season for them to build and put into use. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom