First time out clipless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stalagmike

Enormous member
First time out clipless (clipped in?) today. Managed to get clipped in to start off, and out again (phew) at first set of lights. After a mid-ride pit stop I thought I would just check the cleats for mud etc before heading back and realised I hadn't tightened them up following my initial clipping in and out practice a few days before (doh!). Tightened them up and on the way back the difference was amazing! I found that they helped most with climbing. So glad i checked otherwise I could have gone on with loose cleats for weeks wondering why I couldn't clip in or out easily and why there was tons of 'play' on my right pedal. Lesson learned there for sure

steve50

Disenchanted Member
No "clipless moment" yet?, they are great aren't they, I find they make a huge difference after using flat or pedals with toe clips, still find it a bit odd when riding my hybrid, I tend lift my foot ready to set off expecting the pedal to follow my foot and then have to take my foot of the pedal to hook it underneath to lift the pedal.

Last edited:

Buck

Guru
Good start. Once you've been out a few times, clipping in and out becomes second nature.

Keep checking the cleats as they can work loose.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
still find it a bit odd when riding my hybrid, I tend lift my foot ready to set off expecting the pedal to follow my foot and then have to take my foot of the pedal to hook it underneath to lift the pedal.
Why the heck would you do that? Do your shoes cause you pain and so you want to damage their uppers in return? Kick the pedals backwards and stop them in the right place with the sole - or ideally do like a fixie or coaster-braked rider and stop with the pedal in the appropriate place, or otherwise scoot-start.

D

Deleted member 26715

You sometimes go sideways though, with the bike firmly stuck between your legs.:okay:
I have a problem that I can easily unclip my left foot, but can't get my right foot out, which has resulted in a couple of these moments.

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
I have a problem that I can easily unclip my left foot, but can't get my right foot out, which has resulted in a couple of these moments.
I felt a bit like that when I was practising, left foot was good but the right one wasn't going in or out easily. I think I am going to have to adjust the right cleat either fore or aft to increase the leverage I can get with my right side. Makes sense really. Can't assume both legs are the same!

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Why the heck would you do that? Do your shoes cause you pain and so you want to damage their uppers in return? Kick the pedals backwards and stop them in the right place with the sole - or ideally do like a fixie or coaster-braked rider and stop with the pedal in the appropriate place, or otherwise scoot-start.

Each to their own, you do it your way I do it mine :okay:

Top Bottom