First time out!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete Sobye

Regular
Morning everyone.

Well....... Decided that today's the day to get the bike out and finally have a go at this cycling malarkey!

Seriously, for those who have not read my thread in the welcome mat, I recently lost 2.5st on doctors orders and thought it about time I sis something about my fitness too and perhaps lose a little more weight into the bargain.

I bought a Viking Roma as my first bike (budget constraints!) and have had it a couple of weeks while I get everything together.

I took it out for a ride this morning and IM KNACKERED!

I only did about 4.5 miles of main road and back lanes around my village and had to stop a few times. To top it all I filled my new water bottle up, at home, only to find that I had a small hole in it so I had no water with me.

All in all I enjoyed it and I suppose we all gotta start somewhere so at least I got something to build on now..

Pete

Cyclist33

4.5 is 4.5 miles more than zero. Well done. Did you enjoy it?

What sort of bike is the Roma?

Stu

craven2354

I believe it's a road bike I had one awhile ago :smile: don't forget your spare tubes when you go out :smile: and gratz on getting out there

OP
OP
Pete Sobye

Pete Sobye

Regular
Thanks guys. I can see why it's easy to give up after the first ride. Hard on your ar5e. Getting used to SPD SL pedals hills! Anyway I shall be going out again sometime soon.

Here is my bike before I fitted the Shimano SPD-SL pedals to it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349608985.811034.jpg

SimonJKH

Blue collar cyclist
Well done. About a month ago I was doing my first ride, and was quite nervous about it. Now I'm addicted. You will be too!

SteveBM

Well done Pete. You got to start somewhere. Sounds like you enjoyed it and I'm sure you're distances will increase over time. In my experience, the first 10 miles is closely followed by the first 20, etc as you overcome the psychological and physical barriers that we put in place.
With regards comfort on the bike, did you wear padded shorts? If not, I suggest you pick some up as they make the ride a whole lot more comfortable. Also, your body will get used to it over time and the post ride aches and pains will soon wear off.

Well done mate - Nice bike by the way!

Grayduff

Über Member
Well done mate as cyclist33 said, 4.5 miles is better than zero and i promise it will get easier, any one on the forum will tell you the same..over the last 6 weeks i have built up from 3 miles 5 miles 10 miles 12 miles now 20 miles it hasn`t been easy but very rewarding and to be honest it has been made easier by the guys on this forum offering encouragement and help when needed...So well done and keep up the good work.:cheers:..
Nice lookin bike by the way...

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
More than I've cycled today only got out of bed to get some waffles for breakfast :smile:
+1
Got up to do a club run today, had brekkie and felt like death ( night shift and kids ) so wimped out .

Well done Pete !!! keep it up and you will soon find your distance will increase and your fitness will come on in leaps and bounds.
Never be ashamed of your bike , as long as its serviceable then go for it and enjoy the ride.Guy turned up for our club ride last week on a full on bike like sky ride with campag eps so your looking at £9000 + .Jealous ? a little bit but its the person turning the pedals at the end of the day not the bike and i beat him up a 23 % hill unless he was holding back ....
To quote eddy
"Don`t by upgrades ride up grades"

RWright

Guru
good luck with it Pete! you will be a little tired and sore at first but it gets better fairly quickly. Just be careful in traffic and have fun:thumbsup: .

I won't be able to ride today though :sad:

OP
OP
Pete Sobye

Pete Sobye

Regular
well done pete. sorry i couldnt make it today, wife is working a long shift today.

just geting out on the bike is a start! how you finding the spd-sl's?
Hey buddy.
That's ok, my ride was probably a lot shorter than you would have liked anyway!

Looking forward to getting out with you at some point though.

Pete

OP
OP
Pete Sobye

Pete Sobye

Regular
Oh, as for the SPD-SL's they were fine except at one point when I was on a slight hill and went to set off and couldn't clip in in time and promptly fell off!

Top Bottom