First time out!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wisdom

Guru
Well done.
Take it easy and dont rush to get in bigger mileages.Just keep going and it will become easier.Then you can increase bit by bit.
There is nothing worse than overfacing yourself to the point that you dont enjoy it

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Oh, as for the SPD-SL's they were fine except at one point when I was on a slight hill and went to set off and couldn't clip in in time and promptly fell off!

Ive had 2 clipless moments this year, once with one foot unclipped and promptly fell the opposite way! I keep my right leg clipped in and use it to set off as it's my stronger leg then if I miss clipping in with my left I can pedal with the heel to get me going

Mileage isnt a problem for me as was planning to ride out and back as well but it's all good mate. Glad you enjoyed the ride though.

Reece

Veteran
Nice one Pete.

Keep progressing at your own speed and pace for distances etc. Don't worry what others are doing it will all come to you naturally. Just wait til that bug really bites lol.

Fitted my first SPD-SL's yeasterday. Not too keen at first, then todays ride was loads better. Still sussing them out a bit but getting on with them good.

Binka

Über Member
6 weeks ago I biked 5 miles and it was hard going. I'm up to doing 20 miles per ride now (not every ride) and enjoying it. Well done.

Paul H

Well done for getting out there :-)

I started cycling on 31st August 2012 and my first ride was 1.99 miles!

Over the past 5 weeks I have built up from 3 miles to 5 miles to 10 miles..then 11.3 miles. Last weekend I did 25 miles and have done 10 miles on Friday, 5 miles yesterday and 15 today.

If you stick at it and give yourself rest days you soon find that you too are covering more miles than you ever thought possible.

Best of luck and keep posting:-)

Paul H

Well done for getting out there :-)

I started cycling on 31st August 2012 and my first ride was 1.99 miles!

Over the past 5 weeks I have built up from 3 miles to 5 miles to 10 miles..then 11.3 miles. Last weekend I did 25 miles and have done 10 miles on Friday, 5 miles yesterday and 15 today.

If you stick at it and give yourself rest days you soon find that you too are covering more miles than you ever thought possible.

Best of luck and keep posting:-)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Well done!
My 'Top-tip' for beginners ... take it easy, especially when you first set off, choose a low gear and gently spin along rather than give it the full Wiggo from the off. Warming-up gently is really important for those who maybe have not exercised for a long time or sport a notable 'aerobelly' :whistle: This is to allow your cardio-vascular system and fuel supplyto get going properly and you'll find that you'll go further with seemingly less effort if you do so...
Warm-down too, same thing, gently spin the last bit home.

Keep it up, as others have said, the miles build quickly.

DaveyM

Über Member
Well done Pete.
Just keep doing little and often, after a while what you consider to be a short ride changes and the feeling of acheivement ( for me anyway ) has kept me going.

Good luck with it. The bike looks nice by the way :becool:

Top Bottom