First time Road bike buyer advice needed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sheffordian

Hello good people,

I have started cycling for the first time since a kid back in July and have really enjoyed myself. I brought a Felt Hybrid that i love but am looking to step up mileage and speed in 2015 and want to buy a road bike. My budget is around the £600-£700 mark and as a 36 year old with Arthritis i am looking for something relatively comfortable to ride. I have been directed to the following links that seem good value -

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...8_1419637599_f0ed74e84b593f41e4125ed97dc7665a

http://www.merlincycles.com/felt-f75-road-bike-2014-71825.html

But to be honest i am finding it all a bit of a minefield. Carbon/Ally/Steel Sora/Tiagra/105 etc As a newbie i would appreciate any feedback.

S

BrynCP

Über Member
Depending on your definition of comfortable, the Felt 'F' series is a more race orientated geometry than their 'Z' series. If I recall correctly from when I was looking, the Cube Peloton is more relaxed. But I guess it ultimately depends what you'd find comfortable.

The groupset component quality is in the order you listed, so Tiagra is better than Sora, and 105 is better than Tiagra; there are others either side too.

Aluminium frames with Carbon forks are common in your price range, the carbon should help dampen road vibration; I have no idea about steel.

I bought a road bike similarly to you, after 6 months of having ridden a hybrid and being new to cycling. I got a Felt Z85, which at the time, came with 105 shifters and dérailleurs, aluminium frame and carbon forks and seat post. I cannot fault the bike or components, I have enjoyed riding that through summer and autumn and continuing into winter. Newer models are not the same components though so probably not as good value as what you posted.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Where's the arthritis? You would perhaps be wise to buy from a shop where they can check the sizing and set up for you, it may cost a little more but could be well worth the few quid

Assuming you are in Sheffield as your username suggests, you could do worse than Planet X who have a store there and offer excellent value bikes with good components

http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/road-bikes

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
My first road bike was a Specialized Secteur Elite with 105 gearing. It was supposed to have a relaxed geometry but I never really fell in love with it. Two years later, I bought a Cinelli Experience Veloce 2013 and I have spent a year in Heaven. It's nippy for commuting in London, and it's comfortable for longer rides. You really should take a test ride. Now is a great time to buy as the retailers try and shift last year's model, but you should hurry because the discounts don't last forever.
£650 of fun...
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cinelli-experience-veloce-2014/

Good luck, whatever you choose.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Someone asked the question, where is your arthritis? It's a good question because it may mean you should not be looking at road bikes at all.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
I would stay away from the F series Felt as this is a more of a race style geometry, especially if your after comfort. I bought a Felt Z85 last year just before I did a 300 mile london to Paris trip and it is extremely comfortable and looks great IMO
image.jpg

I absolutely love it !
I got it for £660 back in August with 105 all round. I think you can get it from wiggle even cheaper at £599 now
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-z85-105-2014/

OP
OP
S

Sheffordian

Thanks, the Z85 would have fit the bill exactly and i was quite excited when i first saw the link a week or so ago but the frame size available is a 58 and i am looking for 56. Typical - the Arthritis is a side issue (my condition has improved considerably since i started cycling) i am very aware of my limitations but obviously want something that will minimise the impact so have ruled out the F series bikes now. Felt do have a Z7 within my budget which could fit the bill. Any thoughts on Frame over Group set? Carbon/Sora or Ally/105? Thanks

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Thanks, the Z85 would have fit the bill exactly and i was quite excited when i first saw the link a week or so ago but the frame size available is a 58 and i am looking for 56. Typical - the Arthritis is a side issue (my condition has improved considerably since i started cycling) i am very aware of my limitations but obviously want something that will minimise the impact so have ruled out the F series bikes now. Felt do have a Z7 within my budget which could fit the bill. Any thoughts on Frame over Group set? Carbon/Sora or Ally/105? Thanks
Hi @Sheffordian

Two bikes immediately spring to mind, both within budget, both with a high specification & value for money & both heavily reduced.

The two bikes in question are the 2014 Cube Peloton Race (which I ride) & the 2014 Giant Defy 1 (which I have ridden a lower spec version of).

Both come with a Shimano 105 group set & both have a relaxed/comfortable geometry, the Cube is a little better specified, but both are great bikes for the £££, of which you will need less than 700 of.

Go take a look, bet you will buy one of them.

OP
OP
S

Sheffordian

Hi @Sheffordian

Two bikes immediately spring to mind, both within budget, both with a high specification & value for money & both heavily reduced.

The two bikes in question are the 2014 Cube Peloton Race (which I ride) & the 2014 Giant Defy 1 (which I have ridden a lower spec version of).

Both come with a Shimano 105 group set & both have a relaxed/comfortable geometry, the Cube is a little better specified, but both are great bikes for the £££, of which you will need less than 700 of.

Go take a look, bet you will buy one of them.

Hi SteCenturion,

Funnily enough i have narrowed it down to just the Cube and am hoping to order this week! Glad to hear you can recommend it.

Thanks

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Hi SteCenturion,

Funnily enough i have narrowed it down to just the Cube and am hoping to order this week! Glad to hear you can recommend it.

Thanks
It's a great bike @Sheffordian with top notch parts for the money, lightweight, comfortable & good looking (especially in white/red/blue) the only niggles so far have been that the bar tape is not the best & one of the ber end plugs fell out (but they are cheap to replace) & the welds are not the smoothest/prettiest I ever saw.

I got my Peloton Race from www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk but I have seen them cheaper now at Chain Reaction Cycles & www.paulscycles.co.uk (under £700)

the only advice I have is to try & sit on one if you can as, when I went, the shop guy suggested a size 60 (they are supposed to come up a little small compared with other brands), however I preferred the fit of the size 58 so I got that.

If it is any help at all, I am a smidge over 6ft with roughly 33" leg & long body.

The 11-32 cassette as fitted would also get anyone up the steepest of hills, although I haven't used the wheels because I mess around with my bikes & fitted my own wheels & 11-28 cassette.

There are loads of Cube owners on the forum if ever you need to ask anything.

Best of British.

Top Bottom