first time road bike buyer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
In about 5 months time, I will be eligible to buy another bike through the cycle to work scheme. I purchased a mountain bike this time around (specialized myka), and am thinking that perhaps as I get more comfortable and confident over the course of next few months, I will move over to a road bike. I also think a road bike may be more comfortable (and a bit speedier) over a 30+ mile roundtrip commute. I am mainly riding the Bristol to Bath Railway Path, Bristol City Centre, and some parts of Bath.
My plan over the summer is to complete a few 30-50 mile long rides over the course of the summer, and perhaps next year get into some longer rides (maybe 50-100 milers). But I feel I should probably get a cycle that is better equipped for roads (I don't ride off road at all).
My budget will most likely be in the £600 range, so what would people suggest? I figure if I start to research different options and bikes now, I'll be better equipped come winter. My employer uses cycle solutions, and they have a wide range of cycles, but I can also purchase a cycle through Cadence Cycles in Bath with the scheme.
Thanks ahead of time!

https://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/p83040/cannondale-quick-speed-2-womens--2016-hybrid-bike

That'll be quick enough for most behaviour (it's got road bike gears), similar riding position to a Myka with its flat handlebar, capable of a range of terrain and more comfortable and versatile on most surfaces than an out and out road bike.

BB

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
In about 5 months time, I will be eligible to buy another bike through the cycle to work scheme. I purchased a mountain bike this time around (specialized myka), and am thinking that perhaps as I get more comfortable and confident over the course of next few months, I will move over to a road bike. I also think a road bike may be more comfortable (and a bit speedier) over a 30+ mile roundtrip commute. I am mainly riding the Bristol to Bath Railway Path, Bristol City Centre, and some parts of Bath.
My plan over the summer is to complete a few 30-50 mile long rides over the course of the summer, and perhaps next year get into some longer rides (maybe 50-100 milers). But I feel I should probably get a cycle that is better equipped for roads (I don't ride off road at all).
My budget will most likely be in the £600 range, so what would people suggest? I figure if I start to research different options and bikes now, I'll be better equipped come winter. My employer uses cycle solutions, and they have a wide range of cycles, but I can also purchase a cycle through Cadence Cycles in Bath with the scheme.
Thanks ahead of time!
The myka is plenty good enough for general stuff. Perhaps with the new bike try to take into consideration what you may want next...beyond a speedy commute.

A hybrid will potentially fall short of your aspirations are club rides or group activities. Most people...most not all...tend to end up on a road bike for that.

So perhaps a good Halfords or decathlon road bike is the next best move.

Welcome and good luck.

vickster

Legendary Member
Your shop sells Cannondale, perhaps have a look at the Synapse road bikes? Evans offer free no obligation testrides if required

Or the Giant Liv avail women's road bikes

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
Thanks guys. I have narrowed it down to 2, a specialized dolce and a cannondale synapse claris 8. I'll see if i can take them both for a test ride over the next few months before i take the plunge. The plan is to eventually do some group rides, but at the moment, I'm fairly slow, averaging about 10mph on my way into work (which has a few uphill bits), and about 13mph on my way home.

The myka is plenty good enough for general stuff. Perhaps with the new bike try to take into consideration what you may want next...beyond a speedy commute.

A hybrid will potentially fall short of your aspirations are club rides or group activities. Most people...most not all...tend to end up on a road bike for that.

So perhaps a good Halfords or decathlon road bike is the next best move.

Welcome and good luck.

It doesn't say anything about club or group rides.

You can - as proved by many - go fast on a hybrid and slow on a road bike. BB

Globalti

Legendary Member
Averaging 10 to 13 mph on a Myka is excellent; they are very heavy, slow bikes. On a road bike you'll see that go up to 17 mph or more. Mrs Gti got a Dolce and was blown away by the speed of it after her Myka.

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
Averaging 10 to 13 mph on a Myka is excellent; they are very heavy, slow bikes. On a road bike you'll see that go up to 17 mph or more. Mrs Gti got a Dolce and was blown away by the speed of it after her Myka.
Well that's good to know. The dolce has just come down in price, so I just need to talk the wife into letting me get a second bike on cycle to work. It means paying out a bit extra for a few months but oh well.

annirak

Veteran
Thanks guys. I have narrowed it down to 2, a specialized dolce and a cannondale synapse claris 8. I'll see if i can take them both for a test ride over the next few months before i take the plunge. The plan is to eventually do some group rides, but at the moment, I'm fairly slow, averaging about 10mph on my way into work (which has a few uphill bits), and about 13mph on my way home.

I test rode a synapse a while back and loved it. What I don't live is the Claris group on my road bike. It's finicky and the front derailleur hasn't shifted the way it should since day one. If you can manage Sora or better, do!

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
Wifey has agreed to a new bike purchase. Specialized dolce here I come! She'll use my current bike to tool about town as she has enjoyed cycling around Europe.

Top Bottom