First tour on a budget - equipment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I'm very new to touring. I'm excited about trying to cycle from Southampton To Cheltenham, it's about 85 miles so I'm going to cut it in half by staying south of Swindon on a campsite for a few days.

I don't have a lot of money so need to keep costs down. I've bought a Gelert Solo tent for £25. I'm thinking about buying the following.

Sleeping bags

Gelert X-treme Lite 1000 £27.50 (1kg)

or,

Gelert X-treme Lite 800 £24.50 (800g)

and

Airbed

Gelert X-treme Lite 3/4 Mattress £19.50 (520g)

I'm thinking that instead of getting the 1000 tent to instead get the 800 and get a silk liner.

I'm willing to spend a little more if the quality of the above is quite bad but they seem the best quality for the lowest price but I'm not expert.

Also wondered whether it's worth getting pillow.

Panniers

This is something I really know nothing about. I think two rear panniers will do the job as long as I don't pack them too heavy.

Also need a nnice light, cheap and durable pannier rack.

I will be riding a diamond back outlook 2008 hardtail mountain bike.

Many thanks!

Cheap new tents are alright, but there's so many of them about, it's a shame to buy more. Join your local Freecycle group, and ask for a sleeping bag. I've had loads of sleeping bags, sometimes quite nice ones. I also managed to get a lightweight Vango tent that packs down to half the size and weighs less than my £150 North Face one.
And as for the rack/panniers - maybe a wanted post here? I'm sure someone has something spare that will go for cheap.
Two panniers is fine for an overnighter.
In fact, my last (week long) tour was done on a mountain bike, with a Carradice saddlebag and the tent, sleeping bag and roll mat duck taped to a rubble sack.

Brains

Legendary Member
Sleeeping bag -go for the 1000 one, for the price of a pint you 2 more degrees of warmth - well worth it.

Cheap tents, great, but worth sealing the seams

Sleeping bag and pillow is very personal. I'm a warm sleeper, so tend to go for lighter bags and if I'm cold put a t-shirt on and pull the drawcord tight but if you're a cold sleeper get the warmer bag. For a pillow I just used to use my jacket and clothes but you can get very nice packdown pillows or inflatables which are pretty good.

Top Bottom