first upgrade for my bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mish4444

Hi, I have just got into road cycling and mild bit of touring i bought a scott S55 bike which i love but having a few problems with the gears. I think the rear cassette need replacing. At the moment is an 8 speed with 3 on the front. can i change this to a 10 speed? what will need replacing i presume then shifters. also if i was to buy a whole new groupset how much would a bike shop charge to fit it all any ideas?

thanks

Hamish

I think you'd need new shifter a new derailleur and of course a new chain and gear cable and you might need a new wheel/hub too; I'm not sure how much that lot would cost you though.

PS if its your first upgrade for the bike to get the most bang for your buck you are better of looking at new tyres or wheels.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Hi, I have just got into road cycling and mild bit of touring i bought a scott S55 bike which i love but having a few problems with the gears. I think the rear cassette need replacing. At the moment is an 8 speed with 3 on the front. can i change this to a 10 speed? what will need replacing i presume then shifters. also if i was to buy a whole new groupset how much would a bike shop charge to fit it all any ideas?

thanks

Hamish

Getting new groupset in LBS and having them fit it is likely going to cost more than the bike is worth.

What is it that makes you think cassette needs replacing? You know you have to replace chain at same time ? Read up on how to change cassette and chain yourself.... not hard to do, and the tools cost less than what LBS charges for labour.
Actually, learn to index the gears first - you may need a screwdriver if the limit screws are out, but no other tools. IME most "gear problems" are down to issues with the cables - either tension, or frayed inside, or rusty or bent casing.

Top Bottom