Fitness advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kimsey

I am hoping to do the 60 mile Oxfordshire cycle ride on the 9th May for action against breast cancer. I have started building my fitness levels up in the form of power walking and did a 15 mile bike ride Sunday. could anyone offer advice on what would be a good balance of training in preparation for the 60 miler? I did the London to Brighton about 16 years ago and although succeeded and very much enjoyed it I struggled towards the end and my legs stopped working within an hour of completion!!;).I was recovered by the next day,,but would like to be better prepared for this one!

Kim

ASC1951

Guru
60 miles isn't going to need an exceptional standard of fitness but you do need to get the body and legs used to the exercise, which sounds like the same thing but isn't.

What you need is regular cycling and at least two or three rides of 40+ miles, so that your legs know what it is like.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Welcome Kimsey.

Is this the 'Against Breast Cancer' 60 miler from Harwell?
If so, it starts out fairly flattish and at the half way mark near White horse hill gets a tad lumpy and rolls on occasions back through Wantage to Harwell. It's a cracking route on a nice day (and it's OK in a downpour too). It's not as lumpy as L2B and there's a lot less people to contend with. It's also worth realising that there are fewer rest-stops too, so you might want to carry a bit of emergency food to keep you going just in case.

As stated, keep building up the miles and time on the bike, if you can get out 2 to 3 times per week even for say a short 10 mile loop it's all good training. After a few weeks try say a 20 or 25 miler. Few weeks more try to get a 40 in etc. To be honest once you're up to about 40 miles, the rest is about fuelling and getting used to time sat on a bike. If you can do 40, then 60's not a big leap,if you can do 60 then 100 not far behind.

Eat before you're hungry, drink before you're thirsty. That's the rule.
Start gently and pace yourself, be economic on rolling ground, don't waste energy fighting hills, take them gently. Keep rests short.

I'll be there god willing with the NOBS fat-boy team in our new Logo'd team shirts with the Against Breast Cancer charity logo as well (it's our team charity). Some of us are doing the 30 and the 60 plus the ride form Abingdon to the start and back to make it a 100 miler day out!

Oh, one final bit of advice, if you can find a riding buddy to train with, that's great motivation... you'll progress faster.

Cheers
FF.

BTW, whate are you riding and where are you based?

OP
OP
K

kimsey

Thanks for all replies and good advice. I will look out for the NOBS fat boy team on the day.How many in the team? I am based in a small town near Chichester. This is quite a good location for cycle routes. I have a carera trail bike which I bought last year and am enjoying using on road as I had a mountain bike before that.

Thanks for tip on distance building asc1951 I am planning to progress,I am at the 20 mile mark at the mo. Today I ventured out in the cold and did a good 20 miles in just under 2 hours. One thing that bothered me was my cold throbbing feet (Woosy I know!!) Not cycled in the cold before usually wait till spring time to come out of hibernation!! Has anyone been out this weekend training? Are any of you other guy's planning any big challenges this year? :biggrin:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
kimsey said:
Thanks for all replies and good advice. I will look out for the NOBS fat boy team on the day.How many in the team? I am based in a small town near Chichester. This is quite a good location for cycle routes. I have a carera trail bike which I bought last year and am enjoying using on road as I had a mountain bike before that.

Thanks for tip on distance building asc1951 I am planning to progress,I am at the 20 mile mark at the mo. Today I ventured out in the cold and did a good 20 miles in just under 2 hours. One thing that bothered me was my cold throbbing feet (Woosy I know!!) Not cycled in the cold before usually wait till spring time to come out of hibernation!! Has anyone been out this weekend training? Are any of you other guy's planning any big challenges this year? ;)

Hiya

There'll be about 10 NOBS on the day I reckon!

No new major challenges here.
I'd like to do another night ride, did Oxford to London last March during a cold snowy night, great fun, 80 ish miles.
The NOBS summer adventure is 3 days cycling from Weymouth, about 100 lumpy miles per day on serious hangovers. London to Brighton. The Classic Oxford 30 and 63 miler combined, plus the trip to and from Abbers makes it a nice 100 miler day then too.
In September we'll do the 'Round The Isle of White' ride... I suggest you sign-up for this as it's in your neck of the woods, is a beautiful route and would be a good end of season challenge, quite hilly!

I need to get into Audaxing or something to get into some longer rides...

Other than that, club training nights and the odd TT.

Top Bottom