Fitness Levels After The Flu

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
Two weeks ago i was down for 3/4 days with the flu and could not do my daily cycling stint of 1/2 hours . When i resumed my daily cycling stint i found that i could only do half the distance that i could before i had the flu becuse i got tired and sweated a lot . I have now being cycling for about a week and there is still no improvement in my fitness levels

Any advice on the subject please

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
It's not unusual to be under par for some time after having flu, take it easy and give it a couple more weeks. If you feel like riding then ride but reduce the effort.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Yep, could be anything up to two months before you're back to previous levels, though exercise should accelerate the timescales.

I had a stinking cold end of last week and over the weekend. Did my local 24 mile loop yesterday and was 2.5mph slower, tired and sweating a lot more heavily. It will make the night ride harder than I was hoping for this week. That's just after a cold, flu is another level entirely, I should be back to normal by next week.

Echo MacB. I'm just getting over a cold and am down on my normal fitness, flu will take more out of you, slow down or take some more time off the bike to recover.

Trek Trauma Chris

Wester said:
Two weeks ago i was down for 3/4 days with the flu and could not do my daily cycling stint of 1/2 hours . When i resumed my daily cycling stint i found that i could only do half the distance that i could before i had the flu becuse i got tired and sweated a lot . I have now being cycling for about a week and there is still no improvement in my fitness levels

Don't forget you may have had proper man flu, not the type women get.;)

OP
OP
Wester

Wester

Guru
Wester said:

I forgot to mention that i also do weight training and my fitness in this field has not been affected one bit by the flu . strange but true

Globalti

Legendary Member
Was it real influenza or just a heavy cold? If it was real flu you'd have been almost unconscious in bed for four or five days and you would need a month or two to recover. A cold probably takes a couple of weeks.

OP
OP
Wester

Wester

Guru
Globalti said:
Was it real influenza or just a heavy cold? If it was real flu you'd have been almost unconscious in bed for four or five days and you would need a month or two to recover. A cold probably takes a couple of weeks.

It was probably just a heavey cold but that was a couple of weeks ago and i still have not reached my usual level of fitness

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Wester said:
It was probably just a heavey cold but that was a couple of weeks ago and i still have not reached my usual level of fitness
I had the same experience.Dont exert yourself to much until your sure your feeling up to it.Pushing it will only slow your recovery.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Wester said:
As a matter of interest how do you identify flu from a cold

You just know! There is no mistaking one for the other really, if you have the flu, you will know about it.

A cold is feeling a bit stuffy, runny nose (possibly eyes), sneezing, sore throat, generally just feeling a bit off etc.

True influenza is brutal, alongside some of the same symptoms of a cold you will be cold sweating, feeling nausious, possibly have a fever, achey and fatigued!

Top Bottom