Fitting 105

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Can be solved with Tektro deep drop brakes. Currently on sale at Planet X for about £25.

It might be worth a punt on the Sensah empire Groupset, it’s reasonably priced and not as much to lose if it doesn’t work out?
Nothing to solve. The bike is less than 10 years old and the calipers will be fine (no change in wheel size, but appreciate you are addressing a random comment, not the OP).
Any experience with "Sensah Empire groupset" or is this just random 'cheap' musing? The OP has a perfectly good Sora groupset fitted at present. Do you think the Sensah stuff is an 'upgrade' on that, and if so, why?

OP
OP
N

nylontoestraps

I presume you will change the chain rings also so BB also matches? A thinner 11 speed chain might stick on an older thicker chain ring

All things I need to look into, thanks for the heads up 👍

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I presume you will change the chain rings also so BB also matches? A thinner 11 speed chain might stick on an older thicker chain ring

Internal dimensions of 9 and 11 spd chains are the same, so that isn't an issue per se, but the spacing apart of the chainrings are slightly different and the thicker outer chain dimensions might cause an issue with shifting or rubbing when on inner ring.

Is well documented you can get away with a 10 spd crankset on an 11 spd bike, whether a 9 spd one is a step to far I don't know.

That might be a try and see.

Also be aware a number of replies on here are assuming your Viking was a vintage Viking, not a modernish bike from the people who bought the Viking brand.

I'm in the I'm not sure its worth the expense and hassle camp, unless you can pick up decent 2nd hand 105 group set for a steal.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R
Nothing to solve. The bike is less than 10 years old and the calipers will be fine (no change in wheel size, but appreciate you are addressing a random comment, not the OP).
Any experience with "Sensah Empire groupset" or is this just random 'cheap' musing? The OP has a perfectly good Sora groupset fitted at present. Do you think the Sensah stuff is an 'upgrade' on that, and if so, why?
I assumed the bike would have down tube shifters or those shifters that go on the bars as opposed to brifters, didn’t appreciate it’s more like the flightdeck style Sora, just as Viking is on the value end of the scale.

I don’t own any Sensah but I have been researching them recently as considering getting a groupset. They have ranges from 8 speed up to 12 speed and had a stand at eurobike, and when reviewed on YouTube by the likes of Francis Cade, Trace Velo and a few others they all get positive reviews with the exception of the brakes.
I think I am going to take the plunge on a Sensah PHI 10 speed as then I don’t need new wheels because my freewheel is only 7-10 speed.

Top Bottom