Fitting a lock holder onto the frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I might be being really cr*p and girly here but I just bought a decent Abus lock for Liesl and cannot work out how to fit the holder onto the frame.

The instructions seem to imply I should have a plastic thing that wraps round the bars. I have three - two with ridges on, one smooth. I also have some screws but none of the plastic bits seem to have spaces for screws. And the plastic cup things don't fit round any of my tubes!

I'll be the first to admit this kind of thing isn't my strong point, but I wonder if I've been given the wrong attachment things. The bike shop where I bought it doesn't open in work-friendly hours so I'm loathed to go back. Any bright ideas?

bonj2

might not be the answer you want to hear, but try and absolve the need for it. Even when fitted, the lock rattles around in it.

either:
* if utility cycling, just put the lock in your bag
* if mtbing, don't let the bike out of your (or your friends') sight
* if road riding, either don't let it out of your sight, have a lock already locked up where you are likely to want to stop, or just put your faith in the combination of the fact that its intimidating-looking road pedals and drop handlebars make it fairly inaccessible to most thieves, and the area where you leave it (ideally not visible to a whole passing crowd but visible from a window or something - round the back of a building in view of a populated office is ideal - this is the bike security i rely on at work)

Bigtallfatbloke

..blimey...I have been out in the garage just an hour ago struggling with the exact same issue!! ...I gace up and decided to stuff the lock in a pannier on tour. Mine had some of those plastic zip pull things which only fitted around my seat post or the mainstay which already has two water bottles and a pump on it...useless...besides its unecessary weight imo. If I have to take the bike without panniers ever I will just take the lock and lock it onto the rear rack or some where.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's a tricky one - most of the frame mounts are rubbish - and tend to break, especially if you have a 'good and heavy' D Lock. I've seen D Locks mounted to seat posts etc, but I just shove it in my back pack. The lock and mount doesn't fit my MTB frame !

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
BTFB thank goodness it's not me!

Bonj, I actually agree with you - it's just heavy in my bag and I thought it would look foxier on. But not if it rattles.

Thanks guys, anyway

Plax

Guru
I had a similar issue with the Magnum mini shackle I got. In the end after lots of shouting I decided to just bungie it to the top of my pannier rack. There is has stayed securely and without making a noise ever since.

Top Bottom